Thursday, October 18, 2007

Happy Birthday Elora !

On Monday Elora the saucy girl turned two years old! It's a strange paradox...it seems like she's been around forever and should have turned two a long time ago, yet it also seems weird that two years have already passed since she was born. Either way, we're glad to have her.
I hope she had a good day. Joseph took the day off from school and work so we could all spend time together. We went on a little hike in the morning and took some family pictures. We went to the same canyon where we took those pictures at the first of the month. Amazingly, all the trees we had used in our pictures then were already devoid of leaves.
At least there were some more spots to still take pictures! Yesterday we had a hailstorm, so I'm sure now all of these trees are pretty bare as well. Perfect timing.


We then came home and decided to have her cake and presents outside, since I had forgotten to decorate the night before. We decided not to have a party with other kids for another year or two. (partially because I had lots of bad birthday experiences as a kid, and I'd like to postpone dealing with parties as long as possible!)
Elora loved her sunglasses and wore them all day, which perfectly complimented her cool fluffy scarf from grandma.


Her big gift was a bright red tricycle. Ever since we've moved here 2 1/2 months ago, she's been stealing all of the other kids' outside toys and bikes, so we thought this would be the perfect gift. But when Joseph brought it out with great fanfare, he was greeted with, "NO! I want another present." But I think after she realized this was HER bike, she liked it quite a lot. (It looks like all the other ones on the street.)
The funny thing is, whenever she'd tried to steal another kid's bike, we'd been saying, "We'll get you a bike on your birthday." So when she woke up that morning and I told her it was her birthday, she said matter-of-factly, " I get a bike on my birthday. Where's the bike?' It was pretty funny.
And when we brought out the cake she said, "Now sing happy birthday to you." I guess she remembered the video we made of my birthday in June. Smart girl!
We spent a few hours playing together on the toys, and she got to have pizza for lunch, one of her favorite foods. After her afternoon nap, daddy played with her on her trike until it was too dark to see. What a good day.
Elora has a strong personality- just like her mom- and I get frustrated and impatient with her way too often, but I sure am glad to have her in our family!
Happy Birthday, Elora.

11 comments:

Whimsy said...

Ahhh! Sweet pictures! Elora is really such a cutey. Happy birthday to her!

KieraAnne said...

Yay Elora! I like the scarf and glasses picture the best. :)

Heidi said...

Happy Birthday, Elora! Great insight on that feeling that you've always had your children, yet, how can they really be that old? It reaffirms eternity to me--that we just know inside that these little people have existed longer than we've had them. You know what I mean?

Also--Elora is absolutely adorable. She's just gorgeous. I love her beautiful hair.

Great family pictures, too! Did you use a tripod or have someone take them for you?

tearese said...

I brought a tripod. Ilove the ones with the sun behind us too, I am just SO annoyed I didn't notice the weeds right in front of Joshua's face! Again, I wish I had photoshop! We really needed a new family pic for our wall, the old one has Elora at 11 months!

KieraAnne said...

I never notice the stuff you always get mad about in those pictures. Our latest family picture on the wall has Isabelle at 4 weeks. We have one of her at 6 months and one at a year, but the 6 month we've never hung up anywhere and the year old ones we've never printed. We suck.

Anonymous said...

I love that last picture of your family!!

We have a 5 year old and we haven't started doing friend parties yet. I figure they need to have real friends that THEY would actually want there, first.

My little girl turned two in August!

tearese said...

yeah, I'm thinking maybe when they get to the age with friends, we'll do a special play date, like maybe take two friends bowling or something. Parties can be traumatic and disappointing.I know they can be fun too...but I'd be so stressed out as the mom , I'd probably ruin it for my kids? Who knows, maybe I'll have 'grown out of it' by then.

Rick said...

Beautiful family - nice photos. The next thing you know they've grown up and gone off to college.

http://www.organizeddoodles.blogspot.com/

Kara said...

Elora has grown up so much since the last I saw her! She is very cute- sounds like she has quite the personality too!

tearese said...

So I got someof these printed for our wall. I must say, I'm always disapointed when I print my pics, because they never look as good as on the computer. Typically, they turn out blue-er and darker in general, especially enlargements.
Maybe I should quit using Wal-mart? But its so convenient. Hmm.

Rose said...

Happy Birthday Elora!!!