But there are other colors that go with fall that I frequently fail to consider. The steel gray and sleet blue of a cloudy drizzle on the horizon. The misty white that becomes of our breath as the weather starts to crisp and pale the world. And there is purple, which up until now I had only considered a Halloween color. I've seen it paired with flurescent green on costumes, or with black for Elementary school bulletin boards, but I had never acknowledged this royal hue was to be found in nature this time of year as well.
I first noticed it in our little garden. All of the summer flowers were beginning to fade, but this great big flowering plant was just beginning to flourish come September. I don't know what kind of flower this is, (do you?) but I think it is one of my favorites now. Purple has never been one of my favorite colors, but after seeing these flowers everyday as I sent the kids off to school, I have become a fan.
![]() |
| yay pretty flowers |


The whole time we've lived here I have also noted that the grass and shrubbery has it's own fall transformation, as it turns various shades of yellow and brown. But it seems this year there is a wider variety than ever in the colors as we drive, most of it concentrated along the roadways.
And you guessed it: much of this autumn growth is appearing in shades of purple! There are many magenta varieties, in the form of grass and sagebrush-like bushes (in my mind, magenta is much closer to purple than red):
![]() |
| Yep, this road is always this busy. |
![]() |
| Doesn't this look like those plants they grow in the newer version of War of the Worlds? |
![]() |
And every once in a while you can come across a bush that is a true, rich purple! (I had the hardest time finding one somewhere that I could pull over to take a picture.)
![]() |
| too bad the camera couldn't capture the exact hues of these plants |
![]() |
| These are the husks of flowers that were previously bright yellow |
![]() |
| These were a lot more orange than they look here |
![]() |
| moooooo |
![]() |
| when I got out of my car to take this picture, all the cows turned to look at me in unison. Funniest thing ever. |
On those occasions when one can view these colors standing together, perhaps with the rare form of a colorful tree in the midst of it all, then autumn in the grasslands can be a uniquely breathtaking experience.
![]() |
| yeah, those bushes in the front should be more gray than blue, but at least the other colors look right here! |











4 comments:
Oooh...pretty. It doesn't really change color much here. All of the leaves and everything is still green. I think there might be one week in November/December where suddenly all of the leaves fall off the trees, but otherwise it's a very subtle change that's hard to notice.
Very pretty!
very beautiful country you live in. The flowers are Cosmos. You know I can't spell sorry. They come back every year. Sometimes they change colors on you.
thanks mom! That will be nice if they come back, even though they don't bloom till the end of the summer.
Post a Comment