I had one that I was going to do, hosted by the same person who did the September challenge and the week-long one in December. When she finally posted the prompts though, they weren't anything I wanted to draw. I wrote them all down, resolutely planning to do it anyway, but I had no ideas at all. Well, except for one day that would be several weeks into the month. (They all involved animals...I don't like drawing animals.)
In the end I decided not to do it after all (I didn't want to make myself miserable) when about six days into the month I found another challenge that was much more up my ally.
So, I missed the first several days, and there were some days that I posted older artwork that fit into the themes, but I did get to create a lot of new things that were pretty fun!
Here they are, in no particular order. (Remember, you can click on them and see them much bigger.)
Black and white pieces always garner the most "likes" on instagram (probably because the high contrast catches viewers' eyes). My first and last creations were both black and white. This first one was for the prompt, "Edgar Allan Poe". I illustrated the poem "Annabel Lee". It was drawn on gray paper with black and white markers. (Incidentally, I just got some new white liners that are awesome, so I found any excuse to use them repeatedly.)

This last piece I wanted to get done before the last day of the challenge, and I finished it in about an hour and a half. It didn't look quite like I was planning, but in the end I decided it was better than my original idea. This girl was cut out from white paper, and the rest was just the white liner on black paper. Much easier than coloring it all in. This was "wish upon a star".

A few of the line drawings I started in the fall were perfect for this challenge, and I was able to save time by coloring in these pictures I'd already done..and they turned out great!
I used this October Nausicaa piece for the prompt, "Welcome to the Jungle". I hesitated to color the black and white because I really liked it, but I'm glad I did, as I like this even better.

The line drawing was originally just the girl; drawing the sky really transformed it. I like the clouds, but the center sky is a little messed up. I think it looks like she's on a sky island. This was for, "turbulent skies".
For another one I drew a simple picture with the plan to add to it later; then I used the same picture for a later prompt. So this first was was for "skulls". Then I completed the picture to be used for, "bus stop". I just had to change the guys elbow so it was in front of the girl instead of behind her, so the picture would make sense.

I'm always annoyed that my camera doesn't capture the skin colors quite right. They're more rich and blend together better in real life.

The following was the piece that took the longest, I worked on it for three or four days. The theme was, "fan art". It was hard to decide what to draw.... tv shows and movies? Books? I've already done Harry Potter. In the end I chose to draw the characters from a series of books I had recently ready, "The Mortal Instruments". It was pretty fun! This picture is big, 11x14".
Because it was February, I wanted to do a few Valentines themed pieces. so for the theme, "childhood" I drew kids leaving treats and heart attacking someone's door, combining memories of my childhood and that of my kids.
On the actual Valentine's Day, the theme was, "love monster". Pretty self explanatory. I wanted the tentacles to be spiderlike and snakelike...I'd already done the octopus thing.

This one I was probably least excited about. The prompt was, "mushroom village", and I couldn't think of anything that wasn't the obvious stereotype. This actually has gel pen details; in real life it's got sparkles all over it- the blue dots, the yellow details underneath the mushrooms, the green lines, etc.- but the camera couldn't capture it except in video. I did show a video of it on my instagram.
This one was also kind of meh...the theme was "Stage Fright", and Scooby Doo seemed perfect for it. I later found out it was actually the name of an episode of the show.
This one probably had the least planning, with the best results. The prompt was "phobia", and I wanted it to have a spontaneous look. It is made with marker and watercolor.
And these two are the fantasy worlds I drew. The first one in supposed to be the three trolls that were turned to stone in The Hobbit, for the prompt, "trolls". The white trees were done with the new white pen I mentioned; it's on brown paper.

This one turned out great, it was for the prompt, "three color challenge". I've seen other people use three colors and not count white and black as the colors, so I hoped it wasn't cheating!
Which do you like?






No comments:
Post a Comment