Monday, April 24, 2006

Saturday in the Northwest

If you’d like to hear the story of another one of my cool Saturdays (And I know you would) read on.

This weekend was pretty exciting. In the morning we got to watch about 1,300 youth perform in a dance festival. In the afternoon we got to visit one of the biggest Asian grocery stores in the Northwest. In the evening we stopped at (of course) Wal-Mart for some last minute items, and that night, I got to exercise my art degree in creating exciting birthday cards for two of my brothers!

I know you’re just dying to hear the details, right?

First, the dance festival.

Who is involved?

Participating in a Multi Stake Dance Festival is usually a once in a lifetime experience. Nearly 1,300 wonderful young men and women, ages 12 through 18, from the Bellingham, Bothell, Lynnwood, Marysville, Mount Vernon, Shoreline and Snohomish stakes will be performing April 22, 2006 in the Marysville-Pilchuck High School gym.

Pretty big stuff, huh. And that’s right from the web-site’s mouth.

It was cool because I know all of the youth from our ward, being one of the Young Womens leaders. All of the young men dropped out before the four month practices were done, but at least five of our girls stayed on and participated. I was surprised… I must admit, if our Stake or town had done something like this, I don’t know if I’d have been too keen on participating, though my attitude would be different these days.

It turned out to be a very good show. They wore elaborate costumes for each dance, and put a lot of practice time in. My favorite dances were the Asian dance by the girls, and the Polynesian dance by the boys from many Stakes. The former involved fans and hitting chopsticks with a lot of moving around, the later consisted of a lot of slapping and hitting the floor. It was neat because they had a Polynesian boy in full native garb leading them. Elora really liked that part. There were also dances involving jazz music, hip-hop and other selections. The show was supposed to be in commemoration of the life of President Hinkley, although I'm not sure how that last music selection really fits in.

After the show, we were obliged to follow the long line of cars that inevitably follows a large-scale LDS event. I didn't mind the wait though; spring is in full bloom and Marysville is a quaint town that I wouldn't mind living in someday. Perhaps.

We ate a quick lunch at home then it was off to Seattle. My brothers Dain and Thorin are both celebrating their birthdays this week. Dain is majoring in Asian studies in college and loves Japanese stuff (including his Asian girlfriend), so we thought it would be cool to get him some items from Uwajimaya (pronounced wa -jee- my- uh). Uwaji-what, you ask?

With over 400 employees Uwajimaya is one of the largest Asian grocery retailers in the Pacific Northwest. Since the beginning Uwajimaya has evolved beyond providing basic grocery staples and become known as a tourist and destination store. Uwajimaya believes good customer service is paramount. Its reputation is built on being known as the information specialist on all things Asian and part of its mission is to educate the customer on all aspects of Asian cultures. Uwajimaya's pre-eminence among Asian stores comes from its use of modern technology, its emphasis on cleanliness, and its adherence to its business philosophy.

I had been teasing Dain about getting him squid for his birthday, so I thought, "Hey, why not?" So we got him canned Squid, roasted Eel, Wasabi, and a bunch of cool food items with Japanese lables all over them.

Joseph actually got some squid for himself too, and he ate the whole sardine-style can full. He said it was pretty good, but you have to watch out for the beaks because they're crunchy. Yum.

We would have loved to stay longer, but Elora was pretty tired and cranky by this time. We drove to the neighborhood I used to live in before I was married, where I fed her in the backseat. Even this was exciting, because while we sat there, we saw a ferari get rear-ended! I always knew there would be a wreck on that corner.

Now I will skip over the Wal-mart part...you've heard it before. And if I had a scanner beleive me I would show you my interesting and innovative birthday cards. Alas, this is not the case. Suffice it to say they were nice.

And now, dear friends, I will leave you with what you've been wanting to see.

Pictures of the Spring weather, accompanied by my lovely daughter!

12 comments:

tearese said...

i dont know what is up with this site.. everything keeps moving out of place and not doing what I told it too. Maybe it will be fixed tomorrow.

Anonymous said...

Tearese, you silly! When did you take those pictures?!!

KieraAnne said...

Yay Squid! I had fried squid one time. It tasted alright, but I kept almost gagging knowing I was eating the entire deep-fried and breaded body of a little animal with lots of arms and tentacles. *shudder* I'm fine with "meat" but not dead bodies. Elora looks so cute by the pretty spring blossums! I wish it were spring here...instead it's a preview to summer with temperatures in the high 80's/low 90's. I got Jimmy a card too, but it will probably be returned since his address doesn't work for some reason. :( I like these posts (your life is so exciting), you should write one every week! :D

Anonymous said...

Great squid story. Sounds... um, appetizing! (Yikes!)

Love the pics of Spring-time Elora.

tearese said...

Do you like the squid chunks pic? Joseph sent it to me a while ago. I was sad when I couldn't find a good picture of Uwajimaya, but then I thought "Of course!" This is a much better illustration.

Cardine said...

Elora is so cute, as always!

Ummm... yeah... the squid looks gross, even though I know that it tastes pretty good.

tearese said...

the actual squid we bought were very small. Each body was about the size of , say, a third of your finger.

Cardine said...

Yeah, on the mission, they used to put it in our soups when we'd eat at people's houses. I preferred the shrimp.

Cardine said...

Did I ever tell you that I ABSOLUTELY LOVE that picture that you have as your picture? I LOVE it.

tearese said...

thanks! Its hard to find a pic that fits all the specifications so that the site will use it: small size, short URL, etc. I'm glad I found this one. That doesn't even look like you in that new picture you have!

Cardine said...

What? I am like cousin IT! :)

Anonymous said...

Tearese, I don't check blogs very often... but, I have noticed the last few times that I have checked that there hasn't been anything new from you in a while. Just want you to know you have a faithful reader!