After reading a lovely post that displayed spring flowers in effigy, I felt I too had to celebrate the season and the simple things it brings. Okay, and some of this applies more to summer, but I will still call this:
Spring: a montage of verse (written several years ago) and pictures (only some are mine).
In the tree on a rainy day
surrounded by the slow drip
and soft glisten of green
sodden branches seep through
my well worn jeans
as I perch serenely above
the subdued earth.
a still-brooding sky
stares down in sullen contemplation
on my upturned countenance,
and I return the look silently waiting.

Sky
Roiling clouds of titan proportion rumble distantly
serving to remind us of our humanity.

To Be Cherished
Those were the days
that seemed to never end
charged with the fire of childhood
tempered with the passing breeze
and held together by the imagination
of a barefoot young girl.
(okay, this next one was written by my friend S.O., and I didn't ask her if I could publish it, but I love it so I hope she doesn't mind. I think its more about summer than spring, but its great!)
4/2/98
To the hut
With haste I snatched
the paper bag, filled
with soggy raisins and jelly sandwiches.
I must hurry to begin
the adventure
which exists on the other side of the field. I found my other shoe
and the journey began.
Under Poplars I tripped - though
they could've been oak or maple or quaking aspen. I mumbled
repetitious rhythms as I plodded steadily along
and monotonously marched while the tune replayed again and again
over and over
beating... like armies.
Over my shoulder disappeared
the red bricks baked by the sun
which slowly became a large
gold plate. The clouds - white napkins.
Silence dominated the air until quickly
past me the cat ran
with her kittens that aren't born yet
a thing I didn't comprehend.
The first gate I climbed. The second
I slid between the slats and I arrived.
This time
only one scratch, my skin cut by
the rusted wire. No tears
fell and I climbed
the creaky ladder to the loft of
the old barn. Why?
Because here I exist.. I dream.
And it is quiet
everywhere.. except
for the crinkle of the paper bag.
So thats it for now. I hope you enjoyed it!
Spring: a montage of verse (written several years ago) and pictures (only some are mine).
In the tree on a rainy day
surrounded by the slow drip
and soft glisten of green
sodden branches seep through
my well worn jeans
as I perch serenely above
the subdued earth.
a still-brooding sky
stares down in sullen contemplation
on my upturned countenance,
and I return the look silently waiting.

Sky
Roiling clouds of titan proportion rumble distantly
serving to remind us of our humanity.

To Be Cherished
Those were the days
that seemed to never end
charged with the fire of childhood
tempered with the passing breeze
and held together by the imagination
of a barefoot young girl.
(okay, this next one was written by my friend S.O., and I didn't ask her if I could publish it, but I love it so I hope she doesn't mind. I think its more about summer than spring, but its great!)4/2/98
To the hut
With haste I snatched
the paper bag, filled
with soggy raisins and jelly sandwiches.
I must hurry to begin
the adventure
which exists on the other side of the field. I found my other shoe
and the journey began.
Under Poplars I tripped - though
they could've been oak or maple or quaking aspen. I mumbled
repetitious rhythms as I plodded steadily along
and monotonously marched while the tune replayed again and again
over and over
beating... like armies.
Over my shoulder disappeared
the red bricks baked by the sun
which slowly became a large
gold plate. The clouds - white napkins.
Silence dominated the air until quickly
past me the cat ran
with her kittens that aren't born yet
a thing I didn't comprehend.
The first gate I climbed. The second
I slid between the slats and I arrived.
This time
only one scratch, my skin cut by
the rusted wire. No tears
fell and I climbed
the creaky ladder to the loft of
the old barn. Why?
Because here I exist.. I dream.
And it is quiet
everywhere.. except
for the crinkle of the paper bag.
So thats it for now. I hope you enjoyed it!
11 comments:
Wow, those were really good. The pictures and the poetry!
Yay poems! Where is that second picture from? It's pretty.... ;)
That is Kolob Canyon...we actually went to that very same spot in one of my college art classes. I think I got it off the Cedar City Website a while ago.
I loved your homage to spring! The pics and poetry went so well together and were absolutely beautiful!
I do need to clarify..that really good picture of Kolob Canyon wasn't taken by me, if you didn't catch that. I wish it was though, I love it! I have a pastel drawing of that spot somewhere at my parents house, I guess I should look for it when I go home this summer.
I just noticed your profile description. That's funny. I'm surprised you can quote that movie. Most people our age that I know don't like it, but I do.
High ho the tune is slow, the words don't mean a thing...isn't this a silly song for anyone to sing...what's that from?
the tune is dumb I mean
yeah, actually I think I learned it for a program in elementary school. I didn't even realize what it was from until I was singing it to Joseph. He started singing along and singing other verses that I didn't even know. Then he was like, "I love the seven dwarves!"
Yeah.
Also, I now recall that mom had it in one of her piano books and would play it sometims. :)
I always thought it was hi ho the merry oh. ...or some jibberish like that. See how much I really pay attention?
Post a Comment