We went to the office today to see if we could negotiate. Our friends the Lunds were able to talk them down to $675 from $750 last fall, and we thought we might be able to do the same. But the lady, Katherine, wasn’t in a negotiating mood. She said she’d see what we could do, but she thought we were getting a great deal because the week after we renew, the renewal rate will go up to $800. Supposedly. I think if someone else had been in the office we might have received more sympathy. We argued our case with the example of the Lunds, as well as the crime rate of our area.(We are supposed to live in the one square mile with the highest crime rate in our county!) We have several friends in the ward who've had cars stolen. We mentioned specific apartments we knew that were charging less, as she had cited that everyone in the area would charge just as much if not higher. But when we mentioned those apartments, her attitude was basically like, well, good luck living there.
I realllly don’t want to move. Our’s are the only apartments in the ward that have big areas of grass and trees, and huge windows.
Even though its very small (813 square feet) everywhere else I know of has tiny windows and look out onto a parking lot. Plus, I only know of one or two couples in our apartments that have had their cars broken into. There are at least five or more that live in other areas of our ward where it happens even more often.
It will be extra hard to move because we have two trips planned in the next month, to Joseph’s dads and to my parent’s house. Plus, we were probably only going to be here one more year, so its especially inconvenient. Rrrrr.
On to other news…on Tuesday the Seattle Institute Chorale had their final thank you concert..ever. I was in the Chorale for two years and it was great fun; I think I grew a lot there and I made a lot of friends. The director, Brother S, is also in our ward. Their family is moving to
That wasn’t exactly how I remembered it, but I agreed to speak anyway. As Joseph was at work, I was able to ride down with the S family to the show. (So Sister S, their daughters M, C, K, Ch, and son J. Their three older kids have moved out already.
The show was really fun. People spoke on topics like, “What had happened in choir in the last ten years.” given by a guy who had been in choir all those years. Another was about “S-----isms (our teacher's name) and how they affect chorale.” That one was especially funny. The guy who gave it,
He was using all of his catch phrases, like: “the clock is not our friend; no swooping altos!, my tenors sound anemic; where are my basses? The Angel Moroni appeared to me and told me….” Etc. He was even doing his mannerisms, being fidgety, stamping his foot with the timing etc.
Another girl told how when she was in choir, they’d all bought brother S this star that said ‘unity’ while they were on tour. She happened to have found it just that weekend, so during her talk she turned around and said, “here ya go.”
So for every talk, the program had a title for what they were going to talk about. I was a little surprised at what he had titled mine: “Why I hated choir at first and how I loved tour.” So when I got up to speak, I had to explain that I didn’t hate chorale, it just took time to grow on me. Then I talked about the time we all sang on the Whidbey Island ferry, and the time we were learning Oh Holy Night when I first started choir. These stood out in my mind more than tour the next year.. half of us couldn't go on tour that first year because the choir was too big. But since he wanted me to talk about it, I touched on the temple trip and the three hour testimony meeting they have every year. We went to the Portland Temple the time I went.
I felt really nervous and though I spoke well, I was shaking. He wanted me to bear testimony at the end so I did, but I felt weird because everyone else seemed to get emotional at the end of their talks and I didn’t really. But I usually don’t. Anyway, I was really glad I was invited to participate, because I likely would have missed it otherwise.
Since being in chorale, Joseph and I have gone to their end of year concert every spring. But now, the chorale will not be continuing at all. It seems odd to me that such a huge part of my life can just suddenly not exist anymore...and I didn't even move away this time! Its very sad.
Our young womens group is really going to change when they’re gone, as C, M and K make up almost half of the class! They are also some of the best examples in the group, real good girls. I just hope some of the other girls step up and become leaders too. I guess the S family's new house in
Another change. A few weekends ago, we drove up to
We did drive around the town a bit. I didn’t like it that much, but first impressions are rarely accurate. The waterfront was very industrial. We might stop in Ellensburg on our way home from his dads house too, to look at
But sometimes it helps us become something better. I guess.


7 comments:
Whoa. Perpetually-rising rent. Interesting. I hope that everything works out for you!
Change really can suck, but I find that it's refreshing in a way. It's sort of a way to get rid of the old you and find a new one. Sometimes all you need is a little change to accomplish that. Hmmmm... what should I change in my life? I need something to be shaken up.
Hey! You commented while I was fixing stuff on my blog! I didn't know you could do that!
"Hey! That squirrel stole my costume!!!"
He runs over to the squirrel and takes it back. Putting it on, he truns to his beautiful wife, Tearese, and says,
"Oh my, this is tight! Maybe it was his!"
Then he pats Tearese on the shoulder and whispers to her, "Our family is going to be all right. Heavenly Father would not have gotten us this far, just to leave us helpless. The Lord will provide a way."
(All fun aside, I'll be sad if we have to leave too, but I know that whatever happens, it will be for our betterment.)
Joseph...don't say stuff like that where people can read it!
Joseph, I've never met you, but you seem like a great guy. Actually, I know you are because Tearese is wonderful, so you'd have to be, too. I hope I get to meet you this summer.
I think I may be getting old. I used to thrive on change, now I'm content to keep things the same. Almost, anyway. I still like minor changes, but big ones have lost their appeal.
I love the squirrel picture!
Oh poor Tearese! Your house is so pretty...our outside view isn't half as nice. Perpetually rising rent is stupid. That's what is forcing us out of our house too. 850 sq ft is a nice-sized apartment I think. Cozy without being claustrophobic. :) It's actually about 150 ft bigger than our new house we bought since we're not using that back room. I hope you can find something as nice in your price range. You'll have to take me to see your old place when I come visit sometime.
kiera- you should post before and after pics of your house, from when you bought it to what it looks like now.
Post a Comment