turned around and left. But Joseph, being the brave one, went and knocked on the door to ask if we could visit the park. I was supposed to be waiting in the car, but Elora and I decided to hide behind a bush instead...the car was hot!Joseph came back and told me an old lady had answered the door. She and her husband were the caretakers of the arboretum, and the gate was just to keep their dogs in. Visitors were more than welcome.
Strangely enough, it really did seem like we were in their back yard. There were paths that went back through trees and pretty bushes, with squirrels and birds aplenty. It wasn't anything like the arboretum in Seattle, which had been just blocks from my home. This one was much smaller and more private.
Anyway, there was really only one thing in bloom this late in the season. I had never seen anything like it before, and I couldn't find a tag to label it, as many of the other trees had. It was a large bush with beautiful blue flowers. The flowers on this bush grew in such a way that you would almost think they were leaves themselves. They were shaped somewhat like butterflies, I thought, and grew in little clumps with smaller flower parts in the middle, kind of like a spray of baby's breath. (Except that part was blue too.)
So has anyone seen a plant like this before? I like it.
13 comments:
Those are beautiful. I don't know what they're called. I semi-attempted to find out what they're called, but I got tired and stopped. I may search later and let you know what I find. Seriously. Great pics!
Oooh pretty! I wish we had an arboretum here, it looks cool. We never get to go anywhere like that. Oh well.
I really like the flowers! Please let us know if you ever find out their name.
Found it! It's called a "Violet Blue Hydrangea." From some of the pics it looks like the 'babys breath' part are actually unopened buds of more flowers. :)
WHER did you find it? I couldn't find a good website last night. I was going to ask some people at work to day because I realized...I work in the same office as the Master Gardeners..duh.
k, I asked the master gardeners...it is a hydraengia, but a different variety than you're thinking of. Like I said, the middle part was a different structure from the rest, not little buds. It had all the pollen on the babybreath part. ANyway, this strain is called hydraenga macrophelia, and they grow in flatter clusters with that middle thing. Anyway. Interesting.
I entered blue flowers in google then searched the images until I found it....I actually found a picture pretty quick, but it was for some photographers website and they didn't know what it was...then I searched blue flowers under webpages and found a couple that had like a reference guide with pictures and it was under there...or something that looked really similar anyway if that wasn't it. :)
I did that, too, but I didn't find anything that looked exactly like it, so I put it off for another day. I'm glad the mystery is solved. I LOVE that picture.
What happened to your photo? The one that is your avatar?
hey...what did happen to my pic? Maybe the site I got it from is gone? Dang, I liked that one.
Maybe you can save the picture now that it's back and then upload it to blogger so you'll always be able to have it.
i thought it had to be on a site to be used in the profile...there wasn't the option for me to get it from my own computer. Or else I just don't know how to do it....
Oh, maybe I just uploaded it into a post and then added the address. I can't remember! All I know is that somehow I got it from my home computer to my profile, only using blogger.
Post a Comment