Sunday, August 20, 2006

Portfolio

I promised myself that my next post would be a nice wordy affair, drawing upon my vast writing portfolio... have you seen my three poems published in the New Era? (the most recently published was sold over six years ago, but I digress..)
But, unforseably, the scanner/printer that we bought months ago is now working with our previously defunct computer. (yay!) I couldn't let the opportunity to post a few pieces of art go to waste...especially since my readership hasn't seen much of my art work in six years or so either.
Hmm, I must admit the last couple of years haven't been that productive, but I'll show you some of my favorites. Keep in mind that the copy quality isn't nearly as good as it could be, as I had to reduce the file sizes considerably and most of these are copies of copies, as the originals are too big.
I hope you don't mind! (And I hope my portfolio isn't shamelessly pilfered by internet theives to be used on unknown websites.)


Harvey and the Boys
This was drawn around 2001, shortly after I moved to the Northwest. I loved my cousins' pictures of the kids growing up. I played with the idea of doing a book on adoption using their photos, but got bored after a few drawings. This was the first.
(seriously, the real thing is so much better.)



Crystal and the Boys
This one was actually just finished a year or so ago. I started it around the same time as the first, but just wasn't liking it. Originally, it was much larger, and there were more people off to one side. I finally realized it was the composition bothering me, so I cut off two thirds of the drawing and added the log. Now I like it better than the other one!




Harvey and Tim
This isn't one of my favorites, as I don't especially enjoy doing portraits (everyone wants one when they know you're an artist) .But some of you have met my uncle, so I was going to ask if you thought it looked like him. Well?
By the way, Tim is now a very annoying 16 year old.




Sadie
This is Joseph's neice Sadie. I did this one along with a drawing of her sister as a Christmas gift. I had taken the photos myself the previous summer when we visited them. I love the original of this one, especially the blue in her hair. The copy definitely doesn't do it justice...especially with that prominent line through the bottom! The color is off too.




Jordan
This is Sadie's sister. See previous picture for explanation. I like Sadie's picture better, but this one is okay.





Self Portrait
Hmm, I wonder who this is? I actually love this drawing; we have it hanging in our home. I'm sad that the copy really didn't capture the colors and the blending of the original. Its much too dark, among other things.
Before I got married, I shared a house in Seattle with four other girls. My room had a balcony and I took this picture with the sun coming in from the glass door behind me.

And thus concludes our artistic journey for today. Thanks for joining me!

7 comments:

Cardine said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Cardine said...

That DOES look like your uncle! And it looks like you. I had never seen that one of you. All of these portraits were new to me. I am glad you posted them. They're awesome!

I have to say, though, that one of the most significant drawings to me that you have done was when I was in Houston, and you sent me a picture of banana and Sarah playing games and stuff just with a pen on a white piece of paper. It actually made me so homesick because I recognized everything. You have such a great talent. New Years Eve that year (2000), I stayed up until midnight and began a self-portrait. I got my right eye done. The End. :)

KieraAnne said...

I think it looks like him...I totally recognized him when I scrolled through before reading. :) I like the ones of Sadie and Jordan...I like how the light plays on Sadies face and how you can see the strands of hair pulled back into a french braid on Jordan. :)

julie said...

I LOVED the drawings of Sadie and Jordon! Absolutely beautiful! The self-portrait was absolutely amazing, breath-taking. You kept saying how the copies didn't compare with the originals, which makes sense, but it makes me want to see the originals, because the copies were wonderful!

tearese said...

thanks everyone. Thats funny about you doing a self portrait, cardine. Sad, but funny;)
Yeah, none of you would have seen these because they were all done in Washington, and I never took any of them home!
I really like Sadie's portrait too...I wish I had the originals..especially since the parents separated like two months later.
I don't know why that makes a difference, but it feels like a waste, you know?

Anonymous said...

What beautiful artwork (I also hope they are not pilfered)! I remember you showing some of them to me when I visited a few years ago.

Definitely Harvey. In fact, one time I thought I saw him in Provo, but it wasn't him - it was a look-alike. I really like the one of Crystal and the boys.

My favorite is Sadie.

Kara said...

Tearese! how come I never saw any? I knew you drew some, but I didn't realize you were an "artist!" Those are really fantastic drawings! If I ever visit you, you have to show me some of your work.