Wednesday, November 11, 2009

The Fleeting Fall

I was worried that this Fall, with Joseph's full schedule, we might not be able to do many fun Autumn things like we have in the past. Granted, we didn't make it out on many walks or mountain drives, but we were thankfully able to make it out a few times before everything started to look dead and bare.
There were a few days when Elora and Josh and I made a fun leaf pile. One time our neighbors even came out and joined us:



We did make it up the canyon one day for a little walk. I was sad we were only able to stay about half an hour because Joseph had to go to work that afternoon, but it was still a beautiful day!




Elora and Josh led the way, following a faint trail we found:



Elora was very proud of her leadership skills:



And we even found a cool small cave! We might have stayed here a little longer, but we stumbled upon the campsite of some hunters, who were still there! So we moved on so as not to bother them too much.



Daddy carried Jonah in his carrier of course, safely bundled beneath his blanket:



And Elora proudly wore her stripped Halloween tights that she got for her birthday. Hey, when else is she going to wear them..December? (Yes, this is a version of my famous photo that made it onto Pioneer Woman's site thank you very much.)



I didn't notice till later that most of my pictures captured my family, but very few of the actual leaves that we saw. Oh well, its the memories that count, right?


I took a few cool pictures of myself so posterity will know I was there too:



Then Joseph insisted he take a few too. I was dubious, because he never takes them how I want, but I handed him the camera anyway, and told him where I wanted to be in the frame. This wasn't bad (his signature "artful angle") but he forgot to tell me my jacket and shirt were hanging in such a way that I looked about 50 pounds heavier than I actually am!



So I found another location, and carefully straightened my shirt. After about 20 shots I didn't like (most of them of my backside...) he got one I liked. Yay Joseph!



Not bad for a half hour in the beautiful Autumn scenery.

6 comments:

Ruth said...

Fun! The pictures are beautiful!

julie said...

I love that last picture of you. Your hair looks really good! That's a great cut for you. I'm glad you were able to have a fun Fall. I'm still holding out hope that, though the leaves have almost all fallen, that Fall will last awhile longer. I'm NOT ready for Winter!

Lynne's Somewhat Invented Life said...

I love the fall photos. I/2 hour? And every kid should have a stick. And every kid does have one and sometimes they insist it come into the house to live.

Chelle said...

I love the pictures. We haven't had a chance to go out much - rain rain rain - so it's nice to see some fall foliage, even if it is just through the camera lense.

You have such a great eye for framing pictures - I always appreciate your thoughtful compositions.

And the stripey tights - absolutely fabulous. I have some argyle tights, but I'm going in search of some nice striped ones.

tearese said...

ruth-thanks!
julie-thanks. I know, I love fall it doesn't last long enough. I hear its supposed to snow here today. Yuck.
Lynne- we were only out for a half hour that day. And yes, my kids always have to collect sticks and rocks,and usually beg to bring them in the house!
Chelle- Yes, I was always sad in WA that we couldn't go out and enjoy the fall because it was too wet. Oooh, I wish I had argyle tights.

Mellissa said...

Your pictures are beauitful as always, and they make me feel like a schmuck for not taking my children out to see the fall leaves. I am guilt-ridden now!