There are a few birthdays that are usually recorded as milestones in our culture: 16 in America is a coming of age party; in Hispanic countries it's your Qinceanera at age 15. When you turn 21 you are finally an adult in everyone's eyes, even though you graduate from high school and can vote several years before that.
Of course one of the most celebrated birthdays is the very first one. This probably goes back to times when a great many children didn't live to see their first year; taking a stroll in any older cemetery will attest to this sad tale. Today there are still many children in the world who don't make it this far, and I am very grateful that all of mine have.
For Elora, this historic day happened in 2006,
| For me? |

Jonah reached this big day in 2010, shortly before we moved here.

And now little Elijah has joined the ranks, reaching his big day at the very end of August, despite having no teeth yet! (But hey, at least he's walked a few times!)

And he had a great day! Well, okay, most of the day was pretty regular. Mommy tried to take a few pictures,
![]() |
| just sit here you say? |
![]() |
| yeah right! |
which he would have none of.
![]() |
| I'm outa here |
But in the morning he got a muffin that wasn't broken into small pieces first, so that was cool.
![]() |
| What the heck is on that muffin? |
![]() |
| Oh, I get to eat this whole thing? |
![]() |
| Cool. |
Then he got to pick at a big cake before everyone else,
and even got his own big piece...on a plate which he'd never had before.
The plate was almost more exciting than the cake! Almost, but not quite.
You don't need teeth for this cake!
And not quite as cool as the cake, but he got some of his very own presents as well, from Grandma and mom and dad.
![]() |
| woah, I could put this to good use! |
![]() |
| Oh my gosh do I get to keep this! It giggles by itself, that's so freaking funny! |
![]() |
| Wait, Jonah, what do you mean you want me to give this kitty to you? |
All in all, it was a pretty good day.



















6 comments:
Congrats, Elijah, for making it to one! Happy Birthday!
Great pictures, as usual. I especially enjoyed him playing with his plate. :)
Hey, yeah, that is really sad about all those kids that never made it to one year. Sad.
That cake looks really good.
Cute, cute, cute!!!!
Dang, those pictures are cute. The toothless smile is awesome! And I LOVE the pictures of him in that orange-and-gray-striped shirt in front of that blue sided whatever it is. So great! Happy birthday to Elijah! He looks like he had a great birthday!
Hey this post is so depressing...but then there's cake at the end so I guess it all works out. ;) I like the pic of him sticking his spoon out towards the camera the best. I also like to see your highchair age in the pics of all of your kids. Happy Birthday Eli! :)
julie: thanks, I love the plate ones too.
cardine- it was, it was strawberry cake with dark chocolate frosting. mmm.
sarah-thanks!
missy- thanks!
kiera, hey, only the beginning is depressing. Yeah, I almost was going to mention the deterioration of the highchair in the post.
Post a Comment