Saturday, December 08, 2012

Autumn Drawing

When I was visiting Utah for a few days last month, I had some time to work on a drawing. All Autumn I've wanted to do a nice Fall drawing, but I'd never had time. I had vaguely planned out in my mind what I wanted to do (bright yellow foreground, dark brooding background) but I didn't have any reference photos with me. I actually had been looking at a lot of Autumn photos on Pinterest to help me decide what to do, but when the time came that I could actually work on it, I didn't have access to these. Besides, I was feeling spontaneous.
I had with me a bag of several markers, but not nearly all of them. I had also failed to bring any colored pencils. So when I sat down to do this drawing, I realized I needed more colors than I had with me...so I went for the closest available medium: my daughter's crayons! We always bring them for car trips.
They aren't even nice Crayola crayons, but some cheap store brand that she got at school. That actually worked out fine, as they had a more subtle color that worked well, and seemed almost pastel-like in nature.
If I had been at home, I might have experimented more with the interaction between the marker and crayon, but as it was I just jumped in. I found that my markers could in some instances draw on top of the waxy crayons, but that also meant that they could be smeared or scraped off, which wasn't that great.
Overall, I loved my drawing (which I finished at home) except for a few small things. I wish I hadn't decided to outline the girl in black lines; she looked better without it. I wish I'd have planned out the coloring on the tree tops better, as half was marker (the dark yellow) and half was crayon (light yellow) and I couldn't really find a way to blend the two halves as I could have if it was more planned.
Finally, I kept looking at the tree trunks thinking something was wrong, but I couldn't see what it was. It wasn't until weeks later when I was photographing it for my blog, that I realized the amature mistake I had made in the placement of the tree trunks. Maybe you can see it? I finally decided it was driving me nuts and I better fix it, or I'd be to embarrassed to show it to anyone.
I actually redrew the trunk in question, and glued it onto the page. Then I made more bushes and leaves to take care if integrating the top and bottom. I like it much better now, even though it's close to the edge. Can you see the difference? The color is actually a little more accurate on the trees in the second drawing, but too dark in the sky.
First the original drawing:




And now the fixed one:

crayon, marker, collage 11x14"



3 comments:

julie said...

I love it. I first noticed it on facebook and looked at it for awhile. It's great! Since you told me they were different, I searched for the difference between the two and eventually found it, but I don't know why the first one is unacceptable. Now I'm curious! Please enlighten me!

tearese said...

So, the trunk on the far left is the closest tree to the viewer, at least at the bottom of the tree. But at the top, it was the only one behind the leaves...the three smaller, further away trees all appeared in front of the leaves, so they look closer...at the top. A really silly mistake.

Sarah said...

Oh good, I'm glad Julie asked, because I was about to!

I see what you mean, now!

This drawing is beautiful and captivating.

Also, some time ago, on one of your facebook posts, someone said they couldn't even draw a stick figure. And I smiled.