People might look at these pictures and think, "Wow, it must suck to live there.The funnest thing those kids can do outside is climb on dirt piles? Those poor kids. And where are the trees and scenery? What a sad part of the world."

In some ways, I can see how that might be true. I mean, our country moved the Lakota people from the Black Hills, covered with pine trees, water, and unique flora and fauna. I love Mount Rushmore as much as the next person, but am kind of appalled that we carved a permanent National Monument into something that was sacred to another people. Anyway. (I was watching Avatar while I typed this, can you tell?)

As with many Reservations, the people were moved to the poorest land in the area, both literally and figuratively. But while others may look on the residents of this part of the country with pity, I think there are many good things here too, including the view to the horizon in every direction.
I like to think the kids are getting a rather unique experience, one that they probably won't get living anywhere else while they are still children. Maybe if we could afford to live on a ranch in the middle of several acres of land, but that is very unlikely to happen.

In this small community, I'm not worried about my kids getting hit by a car- even out on the nearby (seven miles away) freeway, you might only see a car every five minutes in the middle of the day. I'm not worried about my kids being kidnapped (besides the general cautiousness any parent has). While some communities on the Reservation do have problems with alcohol and drugs, where we live is relatively quiet and friendly.

My kids can walk to and from school every day by themselves. There are lots of friendly dogs and cats outside to play with (without my having to take care of them or house them- bonus!).
![]() |
| Look at Eli's face. It's hilarious. |
Someday I know we will be moving- there isn't much job security where Joseph works, and in the higher grades the school has very low test scores, etc. There will be good things about moving, but I know I'll be sad about the loss of wide open spaces and rural living.

For now, I'm glad our kids will have these memories!

Oh...and this picture is just here so you can see Elora's new glasses. Aren't they cute?



2 comments:
Yay dirt!! That's funny 'cuz I showed Patrick that first photo and said "wow what a sucky place to live!" Then I read the next paragraph and it was funny. Nice glasses. ;)
I don't think it's a sucky place to live - I agree with you that it's an experience that your kids will always remember. Kids don't care where they live unless their parents teach them to care. Someday they'll tell their kids about growing up there and being able to do all sorts of stuff. And, I think it's awesome that you can let them play outside and walk to school without worrying about some of the problems bigger communities face. Sign me up for rural living!
Post a Comment