Tuesday, November 26, 2013

October and Halloween

Yes, I am aware it is almost December. What else is new? So, Halloween. This year, we did a few extra things to try and make it a fun holiday. My mom had sent Elora's birthday present packed with big pieces of butcher paper, so we thought, "Hey, decorations!"
 
 
Everyone got to draw something to hang up...even Josh participated, and he never likes to do creative stuff. He made three big ghosts; this was the most unique of his creations:
 
 
He says they're all screaming ghost faces all on the same body. Creepy.
 
 
Josh also made Mike Wasowski from Monsters Inc. I think he forgot about the whole 'one eye' thing. Oh, and Elora made a ghost with a rainbow outline.
 

 
 

 
 
We carved pumpkins just a couple of days before Halloween. We usually do it earlier in the month, but we forgot to get pumpkins when we were all in town...you know, the store being far away and all. This year, Elora and Joshua carved theirs completely on their own! Good job, guys. I helped Jonah make his skeleton pumpkin.
 
 
from left: mine, Eli's, Joseph's, Joshua's, Jonah's, Elora's
 
As for costumes, I was keen on spending as little money as possible. Also, I don't want to sew much. So this is what we came up with. Elora wore a dress that I've worn for Halloween, as has my mom and grandma! I just hemmed up the bottom so it would fit her. I bought her a $4 mask to go with it, and we said she was maybe going to a costume ball? We weren't sure what she was, but she looked cool!
 
Josh was excited to be a pirate. We already had the sash, we just had to buy a cheap set that came with a sword, earing and eyepatch. (He kept making the sash tighter.)
 
Oh, and we added the beard. He was quite dashing:
 
Eli and Jonah had fun trying on all of our costumes before they decided what to be:
 

In the end, Jonah got to wear a cape and the fireman hat he got for his birthday; Jonah was a clown, wearing the same costume that I wore (my mom made it),Josh wore, and Elora wore before him! We got him a wig and some clown makeup to, which he was very excited about. In fact, at the end of the day when I was washing it off, Jonah had the biggest sad lip. When I asked what was wrong, he lamented, "I don't want you to take the clown off!"
 
Can you believe he's not actually wearing any white paint on his face?
Oh, and as for me, I wanted to be a gypsy. Because that's not racist. Actually, I just wanted to wear the purple striped tights I bought, so I wavered between witch and gypsy: I decided the skirt I had looked more gypsy. I just wished I had some brightly colored scarves, or you know, coin belts like belly dancers have. But this would have to do:
 

At the school thing, Elora and Josh both got second place for their costumes in their class! I think they were also judged on if they danced or did something cute as their class walked around the gym.
 
 
 Eli and Jonah didn't get to walk around with the preschool age kids-they didn't do that category this year- so they walked around with Daddy and his second grade class. I think Jonah was a little embarrassed, but Eli loved it!
 
 
If you couldn't tell, Joseph was superman. All in all, we were  a pretty good looking bunch!
 
 
Before we went out trick-or-treating, we had mummy dogs for dinner:
 
Then it was off into the night! In our neighborhood, the majority of people leave and go to a bigger city to get their candy. We have found that there is plenty if we stay here though, even though we go to maybe ten houses- it still lasts for weeks after, with rationing.
I got better pictures of us trick-or-treating, but I thought this one looked cool:
 

 
I hope your Halloween was just as fun!

 

 

4 comments:

KieraAnne said...

Yay Halloween!! Nice legs...and those boots are awesome! I think we have the same ones in green that I got for Isabelle when she was little and have now passed to William. Whoever wears them always gets compliments. I like Jonah's clown makeup. I'm not very good and doing face paint.

tearese said...

Kiera, how come you're the only one who reads my blog now?

KieraAnne said...

Because everyone else HATES you! :)

julie said...

I still read it, I just haven't had time to check blogs for awhile what with a new baby, Masters classes, and preparing for the holidays :) Not that I'm any busier than you - how do you do it with more than one kid???

I love all your costumes, especially that some of them have been worn by other family members. I'm glad you guys had such a fun Halloween!