As a last minute addition, I decided to go over his eyes with blue marker, just because I love Jonah's eyes- and it was half the reason I chose that type of sky for a background. It turned out pretty good. The hair took the longest, and there are some elements about the face that aren't as perfect as I'd like, but I do like it. Yay Jonah!
![]() |
| 11x14: graphite, prismacolor, marker |
Another project I've been fiddling with since before Christmas is a portrait of my cousin's dog. I've never done a dog portrait before, but I figured if the pictures were good enough I could figure it out. Unfortunately, the first pictures I had weren't that great; I just didn't realize I couldn't work with them until after I made my first attempt. Oh well, I guess I got a practice drawing in! The photos were just too dark and low resolution; I couldn't really make out the dogs markings or even tell what texture her fur was!
![]() |
| 8x10: black and white prismacolor |
I then requested some new photos, and I also researched drawings of other black dogs, to see how they were rendered by other animal artists. It was very helpful to see how other people showed the reflective qualities of black fur in pencil and carcoal. This time, it turned out much better! It is still quite amateurish compared to someone who draws animals for a living, but at least it's not as horrible as the first drawing. Yay dogs! Now I feel more confident if anyone else asks me to draw an animal..though it's not my first choice for subject matter.
![]() |
| 8x10" graphite and white prismacolor pencil |
Finally, since I was photographing artwork, I decided to rephotograph the drawing I mentioned in my last post. It's amazing how much better it can look with a nice photo- I really should go back and rephotograph some other pieces, but that's a lot of work. Here I have the old photo, and the newer, better one.

It's still got a little too much reflection up in the upper left corner, but the rest looks much more accurate.




3 comments:
Wow I really like that pic of Jonah...and yes the second dog pic is much better
Your kids are so lucky to have such a talented mom who can capture their likeness so well. What a valuable treasure all your work is!
I am amazed at how good your dog pictures turned out - even the first one! I figure, if it ends up looking like a dog, you've succeeded. :) I loved how the light reflects on the dog's coat in the second one. It made me look at my black dog's coat to analyze how it looks in the light.
I love the dog picture comparison. If you happen to end up teaching art someday, you could totally use that as an example of doing your research! Well done. :)
Post a Comment