Sunday, April 09, 2017

Flower girl

This drawing is called, "Flower Girl".
After the drawing of Joshua, I was tired of pencils and wanted to work with a different medium. So it is drawn with markers on 11x14 size paper. The picture is based on a couple of photos I took of River last fall; I made her hair longer to better reflect how she looks now.
This took a long time, mostly because I kept delaying drawing the figure because I was afraid of messing it up! My favorite parts are in the flowers, which turned out pretty great. The big flower that draws all the attention does have some issues, but I think it's overshadowed by the fun shapes and designs around it.


On the figure of the girl, I have some issues I don't like. For instance, I wish I'd chosen a different color to do the darkest shadows on her face; it seemed good at first, but it doesn't' quite blend with the other face colors very well. I think I need a wider variety of skin tones, but that's beside the point.
 I also really don't like her right arm (on the left side of the drawing). In the photo reference it was completely cut off, and I wish I'd have found a good reference of an arm instead of just drawing it freehand. Part of the problem is that I decided to make the arm wider after I'd already started coloring it, so there's a weird line that I can't get rid of through the center. Oh well.


Here are some work in progress photos. It's always interesting to see how the different lighting or the camera changes the color of the picture. I really tried to make it look accurate in the final finished photo; not so  much on these ones.





Originaly, I wasn't going to have any black outlining, because I wanted it to look more like a painting. But in the end, some elements needed to be more defined, and the pen really helped with that, most particularly on the flowers that cross in front of the overalls.

All in all, I really think it turned out well. What do you think?



3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I think it is beautiful. Looks like she could walk out and talk to me.

Ruth said...

I am always amazed at your talent! Beautifully done. Thank you for sharing.

julie said...

I can't believe what you can accomplish with markers! This looks gorgeous. :)