Friday, June 23, 2017

Elora's wow words

In Elora's fifth grade class this last year, they had a fun, ongoing assignment that was perfect for her. Every few weeks, they would get a W.O.W. word, or "Word of the week". They were given a definition and then had to create a drawing to go with the word, which was then displayed in the hallway until the next one.
They were given about a week to work on each one; some kids got done in one day, and Elora's teacher was nice enough to let her take as long as she wanted to finish hers...which was often at least two weeks. But she came up with some awesome pictures!
I've said it before, Elora already draws better than I could by ninth grade, and she is very creative. So I thought I'd post her "wow words" here for you to check out. Remember you can click on them to make it bigger.


She looked at the movie cover for "Aladdin" for clothing ideas on this one.



The sheriff is holding a small star badge and saying it's immaculate. Everyone in her class loved the vulture poop. Haha.She looked up photo references for the bird and the tumbleweed, so she could draw them correctly.
 For this one, she had me find a picture of the palace guards in England, to see how tall their hats are. The funniest part is the portrait on the wall, where the frame is full of a hat and eyes, instead of the face, Hilarious.

For this one, Elora knew she wanted to draw a goat, but was looking for an idea that would work. I showed her a Youtube video of a goat in a palm tree, and that's what she drew! She cut out some brown paper for the tree, and again found photo references for the goat and tree to draw them right.



I think the name of this class is funny. She loosely based the chef on the Sweedish chef from the Muppets.

I like how she made the different kinds of light in this one. She was trying hard to show colors as well as how dark it was in the room, not an easy feat. The window and stars turned out great!

I hope Elora gets to do more projects like this next year!

2 comments:

Sarah said...

I say, "Wow!" to her WOW word pictures! I think she has interesting perspectives, good proportions and fun ideas!

Anonymous said...

What a great way to increase vocabulary. I enjoyed them all.