As with other quilts I made, the technique is not that great, but it's fun and warm, and made with his favorite color: green.
I am happy with several parts of this quilt, such as the following:
This was a patch on Josh's jeans when he was about five. I wanted to put it on his quilt, but didn't find it until now. So cute.

I like these examples of two patches on top of each other. Yay. (these pictures make the green thread look much more yellow than it is in life.)


And it's always fun to use sections of jeans that already were repaired when they were pants: its nice to remember the little pants from which they came.


For reference, here are the other three quilts I have made previously.
Last time, I made one for Joshua. I liked the different design of sewing it over the top and the long strips instead of squares. Because of this design, I was able to finish it really fast! That underside color is not nearly that bright anymore, but he loves it on his bed, even in the summer. I saved all the black jeans so they could be together on this quilt.


In 2014 I made one for Elora. It was really similar to the one I just made for Jonah; I loved the idea of the colored patches on the top, so it's no surprise I tried it again this time. Obviously, red is Elora's favorite color. Her's has really thick batting inside, so it's so warm!

This was a patch she really had on her pants, and it worked so well with this quilt.
And the very first quilt I made goes on my bed in the winter! It has, by far, the worst sewing job on it, because I just couldn't figure out a way to make the patches look random instead of orderly rows, so there's a lot of messed up bits, plus I didn't want to work on it very often. But I love it because it has pants from when Elora and Josh were really little, and it's super warm. It took me like three or four years to get this first one done! It's funny because I can see the line where I suddenly figured out a better way to do it, and it went much more smoothly.
My favorite part of making these quilts is feeling like I'm making something that will last out of all of our piles of jeans which would otherwise end up in a land fill. My town may not have recycling, but this is a way to recycle that is worth keeping.




2 comments:
Beautiful and creative! I am always in awe of your talent. I have two quilts I want to get done this year. :)
Great work! You are making things that will last with thousands of memories attached.
Post a Comment