Monday, January 01, 2018

September Challenge


 So, these are the pictures I did in September for a Creative Challenge. Originally I was only going to post the ones I liked the best, but I guess I'll post all of them. These aren't in order of when I drew them. The titles are the words I had to draw.
  I worked on this even during my trip to my brother's wedding in September, so I had to find ways to work faster and simpler, which was kind of the point anyway. For some of the drawings, I used some small "artists trading cards" which are only about 2.5 by 3.5 inches large.The following drawings were all done on this size, and I love how they all turned out:

 1. cozy shed (other participants that didn't speak English interpreted the shed as a tent, and so I did too.)

 

2. Honey rain






















 5. lunar landscape
 

 4. Striped evening






















 5. ghostly bouquet (it's supposed to be flowers along a pioneer trail grave or a ghost town.) I saw these ones at Independence Rock, WY.



I also did a few watercolors, with mixed success:
6. autumn rabbit (this was the second drawing I did and it was very popular- I guess people love animals.)






















7. Gray wind.




8.pumpkin fog. I was thinking of the Great Pumpkin, but I didn't want to actually draw Charlie Brown characters; instead, I gave the mouse a blanket like Linus'. I like the trees, and the foreground, but the whole middle of this picture just needs to disappear Or I need to learn to paint fog.



I also wanted to try using some things I'd never used for drawings, since it was just a fast experiment. For this one, I used some cool scrapbook paper I'd recently bought, for the background. The rest is drawn with marker.

9. apple jam

'


 And for this one, I used some colored bic pens to draw the whole thing. It took a lot longer than expected, even though it was small.

10. cold traveler (I was thinking of the kid from A Christmas Story, who can't put down his arms.)




11. Forest plaid. I was a little disappointed with how this turned out compared to how long it took to put together. It's hand drawn plaid on paper cut in the shape of a forest, then glued together.

 I did a few with  minimal color, thinking that it would help me finish them faster. I forgot that doing things in just black pen actually takes longer because you have to do more line work details to make up for the lack of color. And pencil takes forever to build up shading!

 12.secret sweater.  This one took a few days to finish. I liked the idea of it, but not sure if it lived up to my plans.
 
 
13. morning dress. (this was the first drawing I completed..it's my three boys fighting over blankets while they watch cartoons in the morning)



14.  river city. This was after the style of another artist I admire...which is probably while it was the most liked of the whole month. The artist's name is Ian Miller; he draws really cool buildings and fantasy worlds.



 I had a lot of fun learning from that artist while creating this picture, so when another prompt made me think of a second artist I admired, I decided to have fun trying out their style a little too. Patrica Polacco is one of my favorite illustrators, she draws lots of Russian type Babushka characters, using fun patterns, markers, and pencil.

15. kind scarf

 






16.  Festive umbrella. A little fan art involving Totoro and Firefly...so it would only appeal to the small audience that was familiar with both shows.


I did a few on tan paper which works well for portraits, but not so much for these,, so they didn't turn out as bright, 

 17. fiery beetle




 18. soft cloak. This was based on a photo of Elora, though it isn't really supposed to look like her.




I wanted to try a few Halloween inspired pictures, since it was coming up soon. 

19. magic coffee and sunny fox. This was harder to draw than I thought, but I like the idea of it. This is the one drawing where I combined two prompts, because I knew I wouldn't finish in time otherwise.


20. unusual pie. I had the idea for this one planned from the beginning, and I was really excited to do a pulp-fiction inspired picture. There are a few things I'd like to fix on it, but overall, this is one of my favorites.


 21. musical cat. I really wanted to try to draw neon lights for one of the prompts, and this one was perfect for that idea.Also one of my favorites, drawn on black paper.



 22. red ornament. These crab apples were from a photo I had taken,and it was fun trying to figure out how to draw them with marker! Another favorite.



I was able to make a few faster drawings by leaving the white around it instead of coloring in all the details; something I admire with other artists' work, but have a hard time making myself do.


 23. strange house



24. terrible mushroom (probably the fastest drawing I did. Totally something Eli would draw, too.)


 25. Warm kettle. This one didn't turn out as nice as I pictured it (probably because it was too small to do much detail) but it's based on the landscape on Cedar Mountain. See the kettle?

















 And this one was a very small one. almost as small as those artist cards.

26. Yellow sunset. I didn't want to draw another sunset, so I thought this worked too, with the yellow flowers and girl, facing the sunset.



 Finally, here are the ones that really didn't turn out that well, and I wasn't happy with.

 27. Flower soup. I loved the idea of it, but didn't notice till I was taking the picture that A. the circle was off for the plate, and B. The lines on the background are incredibly off, with the size and spacing changing all over the place. I'm sad it didn't look as good as planned.



28 Fragrant druid. I spent a long time changing ideas for this one. I liked the idea of drawing an ancient Celtic warrior for the druid instead of a guy in a black cloak. The flowers are the fragrant part, it just didn't quite turn out as I wanted.



 29. Probably my least favorite; it's supposed to look like a label for a mens scent or something. Meh. I guess that's what you get when you make it all in one day.


 Next time, I'll post the pictures I did for October! Which do you like?

3 comments:

Sarah said...

Oh my goodness!! I LOVE so many of them. Seriously, Tearese, you must be building an awesome portfolio. These are fantastic.

I love the colors in Honey Rain. I think Autumn Rabbit has a wonderful finished look. Grey Wind is exciting. I appreciate your hard work on Forest Plaid. I love that Secret Sweater is like, the opposite of a secret, because the sweater is so bright in comparison -- like you are telling her secret. I don't know the characters in Festive Umbrella, but this is one of many that I can visualize in publication. Fiery Beetle might be my favorite. Unusual Pie is awesome. Terrible Mushroom is very good -- how long did your fasted drawing take, I am curious to know.

I love that you post these! Thank you!

tearese said...

Thanks for your feedback Sarah! I think the one of Eli took an hour or two.

KieraAnne said...

Yay! I saw our window! I like the druid one and the vw bug one...and other ones too.