Saturday, February 10, 2007

Whats in a name?

I had so many good ideas for girl names. Eowyn, Leah, Naussica. Hava was my top pick. But now that we know a little bit more about our baby, boy names are on the agenda. So I thought I’d share a few of our ideas and see what everyone thinks.

I am a fan of unique names, but I’ve heard a considerable amount of research saying that boys with odd names tend to not fare as well in the business and social world as do those with ‘strong’ names like Michael, John, or James. So it is all a balancing act between tastefully normal, but not too common.

We’ll ignore the fact that my dad suggested I name the baby after the demon, Cthulhu. (Any H.P. Lovecraft fans out there?) I think he was kidding, but you never know.

In no particular order, here are some of the names up for consideration.


Elijah

In Hebrew, Elijah means “My God is the Lord”. Joseph likes Hebrew names because he has Jewish ancestry. I think they’re pretty cool too, even though most of the common names in America are Biblical and generally of Hebrew origin.

We like this one because it sounds really good with Elora, don’t you think? Its becoming more popular unfortunately, and I’ve met a few kids with this name. In fact, some of our friends just named their new baby Elijah. Its not completely off of our list, but it feels like its already been taken.

Eli

Again, this would sound good with Elora. A shorter version of Elijah, basically, meaning “my God”. Joseph also likes ‘Eloi’ but no one would ever say it right I’m sure.

Simeon

At first, I thought this would be a cool name. It’s a character in a book we read together, and its somewhat unique. In Hebrew, it means "Listening". But then I thought about the other meaning of ‘simian’… you know, monkey-like? I don’t think that would go down well when he’s older. Especially if he was a scientist or something, right? So that name is probably out of the picture.

Yehuda

Joseph likes this name, but I have a feeling its presence on our list will be short-lived. Its unique, yes, but maybe a little too different. Also from a book we were reading. It means "Praise" in Hebrew. I was grading papers from an elementary school for my job today and one kid's name was 'Huda.' I wonder if it was the short version of this name?

Egan

Meaning “Ardent, little fire”. I like this one because it is the name of one of my ancestors, and its Gaelic. But with a meaning like that, would you be predisposing him to have a fiery temper? Or maybe just red hair. That would be okay. Joseph isn’t so fond of this name, but I still like it.

Rowan

Yes, I was thinking of Rowan Atkinson, the British actor who plays Mr Bean, Black Adder, and others. I like the name because its more unique and also Gaelic. It means, “Little red one.” But I don’t know if I like feeling like I’m naming the baby after an actor, especially because you never know what that actor is going to do to make their name infamous in the future. Joseph thinks this name isn't masculine enough. Whatever.

Noah

I was very excited about this name for a little while. Its one of those names becoming more popular so that it’s no longer considered odd, but its still a little different. I was thinking it would be cool because the baby will be born somewhere where it rains a lot, and we could tell him that is why we gave him that name. I could totally picture him as some sort of bohemian artist or a business man with this name. But just when it was climbing to the top of my list, my new visiting teaching partner told me her son’s name is Noah. And her sister-in-law had stolen three baby names from them. I couldn’t do that to her too, could I?

Joshua

Out of all of the names on our list, this one is probably the most popular (in the top 10) and most common of all. Yet somehow I keep coming back to it. What do you think, “Joshua Joseph”? No way would we call him JJ though. And I don’t like it shortened to Josh even though I know people will do it anyway. It means “God is help” and I’m sure most of you readers are aware that its another version of the name Jesus.

We’ll see how it goes.

Anyway, here are some other names that have been on our list at one point or another:

Isaiah, Logan (obviously this wouldn’t work anymore when we move), Everett, Atreju (Joseph said no way, but I still think its kind of cool), Jacob (Joseph still likes it, but I have a cousin with this name.)

Does anyone have anymore suggestions?

Do you think the color of the names would influence your choice?

http://www.wesclark.com/ubn/

http://www.babycenter.com/babyname

http://www.babynamesworld.com

http://www.thinkbabynames.com

12 comments:

Cardine said...

I like to pay attention to the popularity of baby names, so I read the top 10 list every year:

http://www.babycenter.com/general/babynaming/pregnancy/1506830.html

That's 2006's. Notice that Jacob, Noah, Joshua, and Logan are on the list. (Just thought I'd let you know.) I like all four of those names, but I don't know if I could do a "Top 10" name.

I like Elijah and Rowan also. I love the babynamesworld site. I've used it before when I've written stories. I think it's the best site because it give you the origin and the meaning of the name.

Also, I agree with you about a person's name helping them become successful in the business world. (This may offend someone, but it's how I truly feel:) I don't know if I could easily take someone named "Skyler" seriously.

I like Aaron, Liam, Zachariah. These also have Hebrew origins, no?

KieraAnne said...

I think Rowan is a girls name. I've read a couple of books with female characters named Rowan...I have a friend who's son's name is Everett. It makes me think of Rupert Everett from My Best Friends Wedding...you know that tall gay guy? I don't like Logan, I think it sounds like a Utah name...Egan sounds kinda cool...I wonder if I could convince Patrick of that...Yehuda? thats...different. ;) Simeon I agree the Simian would get teased, Eli and Elijah are ok. Ironically I think that Elijah sounds more "normal" than Noah, but mom thinks the opposite. She thought Elijah was an "out there" name. *shrug*

tearese said...

Cardine-
yeah, thats actually a site I've seen quite often. I was aware all of those names were on the list, just Joshua (and Jacob) have been on it for years, thus increasing the likelihood of them running into others with their same name.
I feel the same about naming from the top ten, but we'll see.
I have seen the name Skyer VERY often recently, for both boys and girls.
Yeah, I think Kiera likes Liam, and there was an Aaron in my ward growing up. Joseph has mentioned Zachariah before. Hmm.
Kiera, Rowan is not a girls name. I've only heard it for boys, so there.
I think Logan is popular because of x-men. I think Everett sounds like a mountain mans name.
ps I saw a girl with a band shirt that said "Atreyu" on it. Now Joseph says no way for sure, because it looked like a bad band. Awww. I really do like that name.

Anonymous said...

Here is the list of the names you wrote in order of my preference (first being a higher preference): Elijah, Everett, Egan, Joshua, Jacob, Logan, Rowan, Noah, Eli, Atreju, Simeon, Isaiah, Yehuda, Eloi, Cthulhu.

I met a guy last week named Kemuel. That's a unique name....

julie said...

I like Eli, Jacob and Egan the best. Of those three: Egan. It sounds uncommon but not unusual. Distinct but not tease-n-torment worthy. I like the sound of it and its meaning. So, that's my vote - meaningless as it may be! :)

tearese said...

thanks guys. I like the "E" names the best right now too: Elijah, Egan, Eli. But I keep thinking of Eli Whitney, the inventor of the cotton gin.
I think no matter what someones name is, if they have a personality that is teasable, people will find ways to make fun of them or their name. If they're confident and self assured, they could have the oddest name in the world.
And any name you come up with, some one is bound to say, "oh, people will make fun of them with a name like that." Whatever.
I forgot to mention Rohan. Its a country in LOrd of the rings and a person's name in something else, but I always thought it would be a good name. But with the popularity of LOTR, that might not be the case anymore.

Cardine said...

You could do Rohan, but I know what you mean about the popularity of LotR.

I don't think I could name a kid Eli because it's the name of the maker in those "You Are Special" books and such, and I have funny experiences dealing with that book. But, I do like the name.

tearese said...

Oh yeah...I think I might have that book! I forgot about that. Its the one with the stars and the grey dots or something, right? Of course, there are other versions given in countless church talks, involving warm fuzzies or something. But thats the book you mean, right?

Jill said...

I like Rowan. I have an employee and his name is Rohan, but it's pronounced more than Rowan. There's always the Roan variant too. I have a nephew named Everett. I think those 'E' boys names are gaining in popularity, so that might be something to consider. Seems like a lot of my co-workers have Ethans, Eans, Everetts, etc. I like Elijah, but that makes me think of hobbits, even though the character wasn't named Elijah! :-)

tearese said...

We're gravitating back toward Elijah right now...maybe if I told my dad it was kind of a hobbits name, he would like it? My three brothers are all hobbits and dwarves, so I'm sure he wouldn't mind.
I like Rowan too, but now I'm thinking it might make a cooler girl name, since Kiera's comment. Yes, Ethan is extreeemmly popular.

Nettie said...

Elijah was on our top ten list for our recent newborn. We went with Cyrus Grant, though. Cyrus isn't a Hebrew name, but he was the King who released the captive Israelites so they could go back and rebuild Jerusalem.

tearese said...

Cyrus makes me think of country music.