Tuesday, March 13, 2007

Budding Artist

Recently someone gave us a cheap set of art supplies. Cheap meaning its one of those sets that you give kids; I used to get them for Christmas all the time. It contains limited amounts of pencils, crayons, oil pastels, watercolors, and markers. But they aren't high quality.The markers will probably run out the third time they're used, the colored pencils won't draw dark no matter how hard you push, the crayons are way too waxy, etc.
Anyway.....
The point is, I have many other art supplies that are of great professional quality. Watercolor, oil paints, pastels, pencils, you name it. But in the almost year and a half since Elora has been born, I haven't done any real artwork. More specifically, I've not done any drawings of my daughter!
I often feel guilty for this, especially since her appearance changes so quickly.
I think the problem is that I never feel like I can draw people I know. Then I feel intimidated by the preparation time, because I feel like if its my own family, the pic should be from a really great photo, or be painted in some innovative style or something. Then,I always think I have to find the perfect paper, do all these rough drafts, etc.
But today, Elora and I decided to spend the morning drawing with our cheap art supplies. Because I wasn't planning on anything, we had fun messing around and I did a few sketches of my daughter. Suddenly I realized, "hey, this one looks kind of like her! This one isn't too bad either!"
And before I knew it, I had added other colors and details. Voila, I had my first real sketches of Elora. Yay!
Granted, one of them looks more like me than her, but I'm just glad I did anything. Maybe this will give me the inspiration to do a real finished painting sometime. Like those nice ones Arlene Braithwaite always does of her kids.
Elora was very impressed. Who knows, maybe she'll be inspired to be an artist herself?

So here are the drawings Elora and I did today.


Elora portrait #1



Elora portrait #2



Elora Portrait #3







Elora's masterpiece



I think the third portrait looks the most like her, while the first is the one that looks more like me, maybe.
I think Elora's piece is a portrait she did of me. Do you see the resemblance?



18 comments:

tearese said...

I don't know why that one word isn't the same color as the rest of the post. I tried to change it three times!
Oh well.

KieraAnne said...

I like the first one...she looks kind of like Japanese animation with really big eyes. I think the second one looks like you and the third one looks most like her...of course I really don't see her that often, so who knows? ;)

tearese said...

YEAH, THE second one doesn't look much like her at all; I just included it to show the different ones I did. It does look like me. But then, they say most artists tend to draw themselves.

julie said...

Wow! You are such an amazing artist to be able to whip those out! I always fondly remember sitting by you in YW and begging you to draw me. You always did a great job. I just think you have such skill! Thanks for sharing.

tearese said...

thanks Julie...I remember always trying to draw you, and it never looked like you at all.

Cardine said...

And again I will say, I love the AP English class pic you drew for us. Love it.

Also, when I was on my mission, I got a picture that you drew of Sarah and banana playing cards on my family room floor right by the fireplace. Ah, the homesickness that ensued... I loved it.

I really liked your uses of colors in the pictures. They're great! You have such a wonderful talent!

tearese said...

Cardine- I think my copy of that pic is hanging in my old bedroom at my parents house. THere were about five people that turned out good (you turned out okay, as a drawing that is) but most of them I wasn't happy with.
That drawing at your house was fun to do though. THose spontaneous ones are always more fun and mean more, in my opinion. Thanks for the comments!

julie said...

Tearese, maybe that's why I liked them so much - they looked BETTER than I thought I looked. :)

Anonymous said...

Your sketches are beautiful. My roommates happen to be here with me right now and I showed them (sorry, if you didn't want me to) and they are very impressed and think she is beautiful. I agree.

tearese said...

thanks! You can show your roommates. I feel special now.

Cardine said...

I know I am a fan. I really prize those pictures that you draw. They mean something to me. I always want to be like "SHE is MY friend!" I'm so proud of you! Insert tears here.

KieraAnne said...

You know I updated my blog before you, but I don't think you've looked yet. ;)

tearese said...

whoa, you have a blog?

Kara said...

hey Tearese, I haven't checked your blog for a while. Looks like you've been busy! I love the sketches!

Nettie said...

Darling drawings! I am sure someday she will cherish not only them, but the memories of you drawing together.

tearese said...

Thanks. Hey, I liked your blog N. You don't look old enough to have five kids yet!

warnser said...

Wow those look great.
I am so jealous.
I tried to draw someone the other day, but I guess I'm a little out of practice.

Oh and ditto to sarah's comments

Kimberly Vanderhorst said...

I was skimming through your blog, and my little girl, Emma, came up and pointed at the screen, repeating "Pretty Picture, Pretty Picture" as she pointed at each. =)