Friday, December 14, 2007

The land of domesticity and the pale green pants

For those of you with no children, who find such domestic matters quite a bore, feel free to scroll down to my ode to my coolest pants ever. Yeah, much more exciting.

Anyway, I just thought I'd share a few happenings around our home. For one...Elora is almost potty trained! She's been wearing underwear for two weeks now, even during naps. She has still had an accident now and then, but she's learning fast and we're not afraid to leave the house without her diaper on anymore. Yay Elora, what a big girl! Of course, our trip to my parents for the week of Christmas might undo all that, but one can only hope.

Joshua too is growing in leaps and bounds. You saw that he can now sit, and he has also started eating baby food, as this week he is six months old. (I apologize for the horrible out-of-focus pictures. Yeah, my camera has a super slow shutter speed...not that digital cameras actually have a shutter, but you know what I mean.)

Now, when I was expecting Elora, I was all about becoming educated on this pregnancy/child- rearing thing. I've read all the books: What to Expect When You're Expecting, What to Expect the First Year, The Breastfeeding Book, The Baby Whisperer, etc, etc.

I know all the rules: you should never feed a baby real food before four months, and ideally not before six months. (They need it then because their iron reserves from birth have now been depleted.) Never give a baby egg whites, or peanut butter, or anything else that may trigger early allergies. Wait until your baby exhibits signs of readiness before giving them food.

While I wholeheartedly agree with these things, I must admit I didn't completely follow them. Elora started eating baby food before five months. But in my defense, she did seem ready! She had two teeth, could sit up fairly well, and was very interested in our food.

I intended to stick it out with Joshua. But, well, at five months he really wanted to taste my ice cream. And a piece of the banana I was sharing with Elora. And a bite of sweet potatoes. I did wait till the six month mark for the actual 'rice cereal' and baby food though. Yay me.

Enough with all of this. Do you want to hear about my pants? I was looking through my gazillions of photo albums (okay, more like 10 or 11) and I happened upon some pics of the coolest pants I ever owned. They were green, fitted at the top yet baggy below, and had tons of pockets. The legs were wide enough that if I bent my knees, I could hide my shoes inside them.


Cool shirt too, huh?

When I first got them, I was afraid people would think I was a skater wanna-be. But then I figured, hey, artists can wear whatever they want right? When I wore these pants I was confident, cool, even a bit cocky. One might even say I strutted a bit. But then, my Superman shirt has the same effect.


Oh yeah, I'm awesome. Check out my painting.

Sadly, I no longer own these awesome pants. I figured they were too juvenile for a professional adult to own, and I think I gave them to the Good Will. True, they were starting to get holes in the backside, they were a bit short on me (an unfortunate side effect with my hight) and I know with certainty that they would not fit me today.



Cool as a cucumber. With an orange shirt.


But on occasion, I miss my pale green pants, with nobody inside them. (Okay, they're not pale, but thats my favorite Dr. Seuss story.)

9 comments:

Heidi said...

Yay for Elora and Joshua! I hope the potty training sticks for her and the food goes well for Joshua. :)

It's funny, Bubbers is such an incredible fan of nursing that he's like, "Oh, okay, I guess I'll eat this other stuff." So, I mainly stick to the iron cereal with a few other things here and there when he seems interested.

Oh, and LOVE the pants! Those pictures rock--you are such the artist! Especially the orange shirt one.

By the way, is the painting a double self-portrait? Is that you looking so upset in it? I hope you're okay now... :)

julie said...

For the record, even though I don't have kids, I enjoy hearing about your brood! I remember when the girl I nannied in NY was potty trained - I danced with glee for weeks!

Yes, artists can wear whatever they want, it's true. Maybe I should rethink my career. Honestly, though, I'm NOT an artist, so even if I tried to be an artist just to be able to wear whatever I want, I'd end up wearing dull things anyway.

I love that you post a lot of pictures. It's one of my favorite things about your blog.

Call when you get in and we'll plan a time for us all to get together!

tearese said...

Heidi-oh, E and J both loved nursing too. I still nursed Elora like every 2 1/2 hours until she was one, so I imagine J will be the same. They just like other stuff too! I generally mix a little baby food flavor in with his rice cereal and he's in heaven.
Julie- we're coming down next saturday, and leaving by the 27th or 28th. So we'll see what we can do!

KieraAnne said...

Yay Elora and Joshua! They're SO big! ;) Isabelle peed in the potty for real the other day. We were like; "YAY! You DID it!" and she laughed and went some more. :) I'm still not planning to really start her until the baby comes though as I heard they often relapse with a new baby. I remember those pants. They were pretty cool...they wouldn't fit me now either..of course they didn't then so why would they? ;)

Rose said...

I had pants just like those! Well, they weren't green... they were actually jeans... and they looked like that... I would ONLY wear baggy jeans for the longest time... I hated girly clothes.

Heidi said...

Oh, Tearese, that totally makes me feel better about still nursing Bubbers every 2 1/2 hours! :)

Rising Rainbow said...

It's funny the stages that we go through in life. As kids we want to do our own thing. Then as we mature we think we have to conform and by the time you get to my age, we're back to doing our own thing. lol

tearese said...

just for clarification, these pants pics are about 8 or 9 years old.

Nettie said...

When I had my first baby, they were telling us all to start at 4 months. "They" can't seem to make up their minds on this one, so I say it isn't worth sweating about!

Your pants post reminds me of my green pants. They were actually old army pants that were my dad's. So, of course they were too big, around and long. I sewed in pleats to cinch in the waist and folded and rolled them into narrow cuffs at the bottom. Very cool looking for the 80's!