Tuesday, September 01, 2009

Family Photos: The Good, The Bad, and The Ugly

This weekend we decided to try again with the family picture outing. Joseph works until 9:00 PM most of the week, so there are very few days we can go out; we thought we better get to it before it gets cold and snowy.

Luckily this time, we had some success! There were lots of really bad pictures too of course, but that is to be expected with three kids under four, and me running back and forth from the tri-pod.

First, the good.

This location is where I really wanted our pictures. All of those we took at this spot turned out okay (we did at least seven) but they definitely weren't the best. First of all, my camera was having a hard time reading the light here. All of them are pretty dark (probably because of the light sky?) and when you zoom in they are kind of pixilated, so they wouldn't work for an 8x10.
On top of that, Elora wouldn't smile for any of them! Josh, however, did great in every one:




This location with the flowers was Joseph's idea. I'm generally not a huge fan of backgrounds like this, because it feels like people posing in front of something pretty on vacation, you know? But they weren't half bad in the end. Elora and Josh chose where they were sitting and wouldn't move for anything, but at least one photo looked okay:




And this is probably my 8x10. Its not exactly the prettiest background (I don't like the railing behind us especially), but I definitely like how we all look in the shots here. Plus, we are a little lighter in this shot, and since my pictures always seem to print dark, it should look about right. Aren't we so cute?



Now, against my better judgement, I'll let you see some of the not-so-good pictures. Just because some of them are kind of funny.


There were several with people blinking...what's wrong here mom?




And here I didn't judge well on how much space I needed to sit in the shot! Oops. Turn around Josh! Sadly, there were a few here where everyone looked great we just weren't positioned that well.




Then I fixed where the camera was, but the kids were tired of this spot, and would no longer look at the camera. Thats okay, the background wasn't all that great anyway.




And when we were almost ready to go, I wanted to try one more time to get a nice pastoral setting (I am a little sad none of these grassy shots turned out at all.) But everyone was definitely ready to go home, and mommy was getting too cranky, so we called it a day.

10 comments:

Cardine said...

Your haircut looks really good, Tearese! And I think the 8x10 will look really nice.

Mellissa said...

That is a lot of work to be running back and forth from the tripod. They look nice, and your 8X10 will be great. And thanks for posting the funny ones, too.

KieraAnne said...

I like the 8x10 too. It looks like Elora and Josh are doing some sort of coordinated dance routine where they pop out from behind each other from opposite directions. ;) We need new family pics too...maybe in November.

Ruth said...

All the pictures are beautiful! You have a beautiful family!

julie said...

I'm impressed that you were able to take so many pictures before your kids started getting tired of it! I really like the one you're going to use - everyone looks fabulous!

Crystal said...

Family pictures with kids are always interesting... You guys are great.... Who did you have take them?

tearese said...

cardine- thanks

missy- the worst was running up the stairs! But it was fun.

kiera- haha, you're right. And look, Jonah is about to do Jazz hands!

ruth-thanks!

julie- I have a feature on my camera that it will take 3 pics in a row about two seconds apart, so that helped a lot, especially with the blinking ones!

crystal-me

Alycia said...

Those turned out SUPER CUTE, and I LOVE your hair! :)

Woodstock Family said...

Love the shot on the steps! Great photo for the house! Do you want to take our family's photo!?????

Skeller said...

good times, eh?!?! family portraits are especially fun to look back upon and laugh about!!! That said, I'm amazed how many GOOD pictures you guys got, especially having three young ones involved in the pursuit! Kudos to you all!!!