Monday, April 19, 2010

Jonah's Grandpa face

Remember when like 15 people read and commented on my blog regularly? Yeah, it was fun being popular for five minutes..

Anyway, this is about Jonah. Jonah is a sweet little boy,though somewhat more serious than Josh at his age. Most of the time, he can be coaxed into a cute little smile like this:




Quite often, he is sticking his tongue out too (we think it is to feel his teeth?) and his smile looks more like this:



But the face that Jonah makes the most often is a little more....strange. He usually has his tongue out, but instead of a smile he has this strange expression of..disgust? Concentration? Confusion? I'm not sure. He's been doing it for months, and we still giggle every time we see it:



It wasn't until our trip to Moab last month that we finally figured out where that expression came from. We had just arrived in the parking lot of the hotel and were greeting grandma and grandpa (my parents.) Jonah was making his usual face, when my dad decided to make it back at him...and we realized they were mirror images of one another. Scary, I know. The thing is, my dad actually makes this face on a regular basis too! Usually, he's trying to be funny (or annoying, its hard to tell) but he's done the squinty tongue face for years.
How could we not have noticed before! And did I mention that Jonah and my dad have the same blue eyes, and the same pointy eyebrows?
Now, everytime Jonah makes a face like this:


Or this:

This:

and especially this:


We have to call it his "Grandpa face". Poor Jonah.

7 comments:

Mellissa said...

That is so funny! I love Jonah's faces, especially the one where he looks like he's licking something sour off his chin. Awesome.

It's bad enough when we realize we're like our parents, but then when we realize our kids are like them...goodness!

Ruth said...

He is absolutely adorable! Very cute with him in the car with Elora.

Lynne's Somewhat Invented Life said...

When our third boy was a toddler he made a face somewhat like that. It was a grimace and I only got a photo of it once, as it was very fleeting. I always wondered if he was thinking something distasteful or smelled something odd or what. I guess kids just make faces for no reason. Love your boys face!

Kara said...

hahaha! too cute! I love the tongue out faces.

tearese said...

Missy- licking something sour...thats the perfect description..of my dad's face! Hahaha. Good thing he doesn't read my blog.
ruth-thanks!
lynne-yeah, I wish I'd have caught more of my other kids' faces before they stopped making them as babies.
kara-thanks!

Anonymous said...

How cute! (Jonah, not your dad... no offense.)

p.s.
You're still popular with me. ;)

Cardine said...

Yeah, I remember when I would comment on every post. I still read them all, but I don't comment sometimes.

Also, I remember when I was popular, too. Not so much now.