Friday, November 19, 2010

Elora's Art Corner

It's time now for another edition of Elora's Art Corner. As our watercolor set is running low, we've had a lot less color lately, replaced by more line drawings, and more words! Of course, there is still the odd splash of color. For instance, Elora has noticed me taking pictures of the sunsets, and she has made a few renditions of her own:



This is the house from the movie "Ponyo" with the waves rising around it, and she added the Big Dipper in the sky. She is becoming very interested in outer space!




And this is her sitting in a red chair on a yellow picnic blanket. She is juggling yellow balls, and has red paint buckets next to her and a red rose in the front. I wonder if she was unconsciously channeling the Queen of Hearts from Alice in Wonderland?




Recently I explained to Elora that you learn to draw things by looking at them and copying them. She has definitely taken this advice to heart, as her new obsession is finding objects around the house to draw. This one is Joshua's grabber toy...she did a great job looking at the details!



A shoe.



From the left, this shows Jonah's stacking rings, a pinwheel, a card I had with an orange flower, a cup, a spiderweb and spider (no, she wasn't looking at a real one for that!) and some letters she copied from a flier we'd received advertising the election.




A small stuffed pink pony..I was surprised at how good this one turned out, compared to how she draws horses out of her head:



In this one, she was actually trying to copy the pattern of a woven place mat we own. I was impressed by how long she stuck with this one, I would think a five-year-old would find it a little tedious. The darker black pattern in the left corner was my version of the pattern .



Another trend I've noticed is the addition of more words in her drawings. Sometimes she asks me how to spell things, but more often she is figuring out how to write things on her own.
She says the three planets here are Mars, Jupiter (hence the spot) and Saturn. Then it says, "Eloras Penk Rocit" which means, "Elora's Pink Rocket."




Pretty self explanatory: "This is ice." I think she asked me how to spell "ice" on this one.



This is just from this week. It says, "a babe wal is a mamol", or, "A baby whale is a mammal." Below it says, "This is a bloo popcicol", meaning, "This is a blue Popsicle." Some of the letters are scribbled because she wasn't sure how to spell it. At the very bottom is a picture of a book (She does this a lot) with random words in it: "The flowr wit too cap", which she says is, "the flower went to cup." Then, liv mom is "Love, mom."



This says, "batrfli this is swarold", which means, "Butterfly, this is swirled." The tree is a blueberry tree and she is inside the basket, which says, "bascit" on it. At the bottom it says, "I mad this misalf I lav mom" which of course is, "I made this myself, I love mom." Not much of a picture, but I was very impressed by her writing!



As usual, we also have our regular line drawings that she likes to pump out every day. This is a house on a hill, a train and a car.




This is Elora depicted as a butterfly (love the bellybutton). Below her is someone trying to catch her with a net because she is "so beautiful". I think its funny that she tries to draw the fly on pants now...thats what that big shape is above her legs.



Elephants getting a drink. She drew the left one first, then remembered for the second one that its face should be on the side.





Elora blowing bubbles. Grandma sent them little bubble containers that look like jack-o-lanterns last month. Those are by her feet in this picture.



And finally, this is a drawing of our old apartments in Logan, complete with the playground and fence. They sure do miss that place!

5 comments:

KieraAnne said...

Wow. She draws like someone much older...and she can write words? Now I feel like Isabelle is behind and normally I'm assured that she is way ahead of most kids her age. Good job Elora!

Mellissa said...

Her drawings and her words are fantastic! The sad thing is, when I draw rainbows for my kids, they still look like Elora's. I guess there's nothing wrong with a good old-fashioned elementary school rainbow, right?

I love that she draws every day. Riley likes to draw and write, I just don't encourage him as much as I should.

tearese said...

kiera- Eh, Isabelle is three months younger, so you know, she'll be doing the same thing come February ;)
missy- My rainbows probably wouldn't be much better if I didn't have a photo to look at, it's all about practice! That's great that Riley likes to draw and write too; with Josh getting him to draw a picture is like pulling teeth!

Anonymous said...

wow! I'm glad you have these to remember. She can stick to a project and finish very well. Another artist in the family! Kimber

Lynne's Somewhat Invented Life said...

I love these. How can you ever throw any of them away? They are wonderful, so much detail. You should make them into quilt blocks and make her a quilt.