
First off, I did a new portrait of Elora, since the one I currently have on the wall is from when she was two years old! I've been meaning to do a drawing of the photograph since last fall, because I loved the light so much. Also, I enjoy the disheveled nature of Elora's hair. I know some moms are really into all the ribbons, bows, and finely coiffed styles for their little girls, but I think there is something charming about a little girl with hair that looks a little wind tossed. This picture is about 5 x 7" in size and the original is a little brighter in color.
This is a closeup of the same picture:

Then one day Elora wanted to sit and draw with me. I bought some art markers over a year ago, specifically to try in this artform of coloring in a pen drawing, but I'm sad to say this is actually the first time I attempted it. She only lasted for about 15-20 minutes, but I worked on my drawing for a couple of afternoons before it was finished. The computer copy is a little more orange than the original.

I think it turned out pretty good! Sure, there are some problems that could have been solved if I planned out the drawing beforehand, or even if I'd have drawn it in pencil first...but I hate doing that. So I didn't, and as a consequence a few things don't look quite right. Most specifically Elora's hand sticking off at an impossible angle behind her back to hold a walking stick. Also, I'm not sure I like the blue behind the branches, I might redo that with a different color. And maybe parts of the scenery don't make sense. But the rest looks okay, right?
This drawing is about 11 x 14".
This was a lot of fun, and I might try to do another one soon, if the mood so hits me.
4 comments:
I love it!
(And Elora is just double-jointed in that last one, that's all.)
:)
I like the colored effect the art markers give the pen drawings. I think it's pretty captivating. I've also always loved how you draw trees.
Nice. Elora could be holding the stick behind her back over her shoulder and jutting her arm out awkwardly like kids do sometimes...I gave you that shirt. :)
very impressive. I love how you do pen drawings. Kimber
Post a Comment