Wednesday, March 09, 2011

How it Snows Here



Every time we get a big snow storm here (read: blizzard) my dad asks me "how many inches" we got. He has this obsession with weather.
Strangely, I can never really tell him the answer to his question, because the snow here has a habit of not lying flat on the ground. I don't know, I think it has something to do with wind ;-). In some spots, we'll have drifts well over four feet high, yet in the wide open places in between, the ground can be completely bare! You'd think the drifts would be up against buildings or other structures, but there is always a weird space around the house and the drifts are arranged randomly. Here's Elora near our house.


This is Josh on the way home from when we got the mail. I'm taking the picture from our house, and the mailboxes are quite a ways past that blue building. I was sad I didn't take the camera with us, there were a few spots in between rises where I could've stepped into snow that would cover my head!



It's always an adventure to take out the garbage after a storm. You can see it's bare over there by the other houses, but in order to get to the bins, Joseph has to walk through the deeper snow...




And yet right next to the big bins the wind has swirled away all of the white stuff!



This was Joseph going to the school to make some copies. In between our steps and our car, the snow was super deep, with a small channel of more shallow snow on ground that had been sheltered by our van.




Yet a few feet away, the snow is almost nonexistent! Crazy. And please ignore the dilapidated abandoned trailer next door. Thank you. And yes, the door is open.




Before the snowplows come in, it is really quite beautiful, as the snow retains a sculpted look, something like the sandstone hills of Snow Canyon down in Southern Utah. Don't you agree?



PS..its really hard to get an accurate photograph of snow.

7 comments:

KieraAnne said...

Wow, that's a lot of snow. I think Patrick would cry if we lived there. He hates snow and cold. I think the sand dune look is pretty cool in the snow too. When you said PS I thought it said RS and I was trying to figure out what that could stand for...yeah and your baby widget is the one I was talking about. ;)

Cardine said...

Yes, I do agree. It does look a lot like the sand dunes! It also looks like it might not be very soft but packed in a little more due to the wind.

tearese said...

kiera..yeah, he would hate it.
cardine-good observation. Yeah, sometimes you can pick up big squares of snow as wide as your shoulders and they won't fall apart. Also, when I walk to the mail I can walk on top of drifts that I would sink 3-4 feet on a warmer day.

Anonymous said...

Ooh... very interesting... the drift lines are so beautiful.

Um... what's the weather like there near the end of May, would you say?

Anonymous said...

very beautiful. I'm glad you can find the beauty in the situation. It is supposed to be warm here today. YEA! Kimber

Mellissa said...

Those snow drifts are really lovely, even if they come with cold weather. They do look a lot like the dunes at Snow Canyon. Do your kids enjoy walking on top of the dunes? I know mine would love it, but there's no way we're going anywhere colder than here!

tearese said...

Sarah- I was told its usually pretty nice by Memorial Day, so lets hope that's true!
Missy- Elora loves going out even if its literally below freezing, but Joshua hates being cold!