The second was a much less grand scene, but no less captivating. It showed a small glimps of a forest in winter, and looking at it you can feel the stillness of the winter air, almost as if you were there. As you probalby know, I've always loved paintings and photos of trees, and this one was especially captivating. It is titled "Winter Interior" by T. Allen Lawson. I could just sit and stare at this all day:

So for my experiment in drawing snow, I combined elements from both of these paintings. Since I don't have any photos of winter scenes readily on hand, I loosely based my drawing on the tree painting, and my color scheme and loose style on the mountain painting. Part of that was because my gray marker was running out..which was actually kind of fortunate so I had to pursue other avenues for my colors. It turned out great! As usual, the colors aren't completely accurate in this photo, and the sky actually blends together much better to the naked eye than it does here. Also, I swear there is not any purple on the foreground trees, so I don't know why it's showing a purple squiggle at the bottom of that first tree; and the sky is lighter and warmer than shown here. But it's not too bad.

This feels like a scene you might find up Cedar Mountain near where I grew up, and I can practically smell the fresh mountain air. It feels like a warmer day several days after the snow had fallen, hence no snow on the trees themselves. I'm reminded of the ski trips we went on in middle school (the only six times I've ever been skiing.) I had to restrain myself from adding more details to the trees, because I was trying to keep it as loose as the styles I admire, rather than overworking it like I usually do. At first I had started drawing people too, but I decided I just wanted a landscape this time.
What do you think?

7 comments:
I like it. Is that second one a painting or a photo? If it's a painting that's awesome. Yours is good too. ;)
I think: I'm so inspired that you did this little exercise! You saw something you admired and it caused you to try something new.
Success!
You have such an amazing talent! :)
kiera- it's a painting. That sounds really condescending...but thanks.
Sarah-thanks!
Ruth-thank you!
I also love the orange color in both drawings/paintings. And the one with the trees that you like is captivating.
It was fun to see what you put together from the two drawings. It always amazes me what you come up with. It's lovely.
I can visualize the quaking aspens. It looks wonderful. I especially like the orange with the blue!
I'm amazed at what you can create with markers! It looks wonderful!
Post a Comment