Friday, December 02, 2011

What month was that again?

Wow, so what happened to November? It seems to be one of those in-between months, doesn't it? While it does have it's own holiday of Thanksgiving, it's really not as big as Halloween (which starts off the "holiday season") or Christmas, the biggest holiday of the year. At least that's how it's always seemed to me, since we've never done anything really big for Thanksgiving.
So I tried to think of exactly what happened this month, besides my having to wash more dishes than usual:


 

I finally turned to my photos of the last few weeks, which were by no means extraordinary or exciting, but which revealed all the little moments that fill up our days and add up to...something. Sorry, I was trying to think of something profound to say there, but I guess I'm too tired.

There was the momentous occasion Elora and Josh got to vacuum the living room. They were pretty excited about that, and even cleaned up willingly just for the chance to run the thing. Haha, jokes on them.

 


And Eli learned to suck his thumb without poking himself in both eyes simultaneously. He is our first thumb-sucker in the family. I know lots of people do all they can to prevent their kids from picking up this habit, and while I might be regretting it when we're trying to break him of it at age three, right now I think it's awesome that he can soothe himself! Also very cute.

 

 
Elora is still doing great at school (is this starting to sound like one of those family Christmas letters?), and is learning everything by leaps and bounds! I just have to brag on her a little bit...she's been reading chapter books that are second grade level, and learning so much. What a smart girl. Here she is reading to her brothers (ignore the messy kids' room):





In November we finally had our first snow of the year! I think it's so funny that we're so much farther north than you folks in Utah, and we're supposed to have a harsher climate than those in the Northwest, yet we outlasted you both on the storm front! Haha. It was absolutely freezing (highs in the teens) when the snow came, but after a few days we were finally able to go check it out. And, you know, taste it.
Hmm, needs a bit more sugar.


Eli was drowning in this snowsuit. His feet barely reached the crotch!




We got around to decorating for Thanksgiving after the day was over. Part of the problem is that Elora is in school all week, and she's my little craft person! Josh and Jonah show little interest in the creative arts unless Elora is there to do it too. So hand turkeys it is. (Jonah looks so old in this picture, don't you think?)




The Christmas decorations actually went up before the end of November too. I know, you hate me. But Joseph was going to be gone the first weekend in December, and we're leaving for my parents' home the week before Christmas, so we wanted to get it up as soon as possible.




 
See what I mean about November going fast?!
Finally, if you're interested, I thought I'd include this instructional video on how to get a two year old to eat his dinner. It used to work on Joshua too, though now that he's four he's not quite so malleable.


















Happy Holidays!




5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I loved this post! First, your photography skills are so good... you can even make a sink full of dirty dishes look beautiful! Also, I don't hate you for putting up your tree before December. I've been listening to Christmas music since after Halloween. (It has been on the radio all month!) And that video... so great!! What a sneaky tactic. I love it.

Mellissa said...

We did (and sometimes still do) that with Riley all the time! The whole reverse psychology thing has worked with him more than any other kid. I loved the video, especially when all your kids thought it was so funny when Jonah stole the bite!

Your pictures are great, and I completely agree with Sarah--you can make a sink full of dishes look nice. I love that last photo.

KieraAnne said...

Hey that's a great trick! I'll have to try that. I should get Isabelle colored pencils. She always tries to color with markers and it makes a big mess...but they do wash off so maybe they're better? You should come to my house sometime. I don't think my kids could push the vacuum, it's really hard for me to push sometimes. We just put our tree up. I like Eli's snowsuit...and he looks really big in the thumbsucking picture. He already has twice as much hair as William. Maybe I'll write a blog again someday.

julie said...

I totally feel the same way about November - it flies by so quickly that I feel if I blink I miss it! I love Thanksgiving, but it definitely can get lost in the middle of Halloween and Christmas.

We put up our tree the Sunday after Thanksgiving - still November - so I won't hate you either. :) My thought is that once Thanksgiving is over, Christmas stuff (music, decorations, food) is fair game.

We got your Christmas card in the mail this weekend. Thanks! Happy Holidays to you and your family!

tearese said...

sarah-I'm just excited to have a window above the sink; even if the house is ghetto,at least it can have nice light, right?
I wish Christmas music came on the radio here. I miss that from both Utah and WA...so I also have been listening to it since Halloween.

Missy-Yeah, the best part of that video is everyone laughing, especially Josh's manic laugh in the background.
Kiera- yeah, you should totally try that. I would read your blog if you wrote on it someday.
Julie-That's when our tree went up too. Happy Holidays!