A week or two ago, I looked out my window to see this beautiful scene of the sun breaking through the clouds and glowing on the golden grass, with brooding clouds filling the sky behind it. I rushed to grab my camera, and snapped off this shot just in time, for the sun quickly returned to it's shrouded existence behind the clouds and the brilliant light was gone.
It was only 3:30 or 4:00 in the afternoon, but in the winter it gets dark so early, that the clouds covering the sun made a huge difference in the scene:

I brought my camera with me as I went out to get our mail, and the day quickly fell into the shadow of evening as I walked there and back.

As I walked, I kept having that Simon and Garfunkle song going through my head: A Winter's Day, in a Deep and Dark December. I am alone. Gazing from my window, to the street below, on a freshly fallen silent shroud of snow..."
Also, this one; "I look around, leaves are brown and the sky is a hazy shade of winter."
I love how music can be modern day poetry.

While I am often annoyed that I can never order a pizza, run to the corner store for milk, or stop by DQ for a Blizzard, I know I will miss the beautiful solitude of evening scenes like this one when we eventually move away someday.


PS..this is posting while I'm on vacation to my parent's home for Christmas and my brother's wedding shortly after. Hopefully we'll have lots of fun things to post about when we get back!

5 comments:
Those are really great photos. That first one is amazing; I'm glad you made it in time.
I was wondering how you posted this since I knew you weren't there. I like the pictures they're pretty awesome. I'll probably see you before you see this. :)
What beautiful pictures! I'm so glad you were able to capture those beautiful moments in time and nature. There are so many times I wish I had a really good camera with me so I could record a scene forever (although I'd also need the skill/talent to actually take a good picture!).
Hey, that's right! Maybe I'll get to see you next week sometime. :)
Thanks for sharing these pics! There is just something about that gold and grey in the first photo that makes me happy.
thanks guys! Kiera...I did see you before I saw this! Weird.
Sarah-thanks for stopping by when we were there!
Post a Comment