Some of you have heard some of these before; in fact it's possible I've don a post about this as well, but it was so long ago it doesn't matter anymore, right?
Some words we use:
scrumble: scumble is a word: it refers to an art technique in chalk. Scrumble is not the same word; it has an "r" in it. It can mean a variety of things. You can scrumble up a paper into a ball. Your blankets might be all scrumbled up and it's hard to straighten them. You might not feel very good today, you feel scrumbly. Your hair is a scrumbly mess because you didn't brush it. If you pass your fingers rapidly over someone elses face, arm, extremity in a rapid and unfriendly way, you're scrumbling all over them. Sometimes a poopy baby can be called "scrumbly pants" or maybe "scrumbly bum".
I love the word scrumble. My kids don't know it's a fake word, and I've witnessed them confusing adults who don't know what they're talking about: "Scrambled? Does she mean it's all scrambled, like an egg? Or did she scribble on it? What is she talking about?" Bwahaha.
spoosh- I'm not sure my kids know this word yet, but my siblings would certainly know to what I was referring. If you spoosh somebody, you poke them in the tummy like they're the Pilsbury Dough Boy. It was always funny to spoosh my brother, Jimmy. He lives in Japan now, so no more spooshing for him. (note: my brother's name isn't really Jimmy. But it's been his nickname in our home since he was a teen, and we sometimes forget it's not his real name. In fact, it is his name on Facebook.)
boop: this word actually came from Joseph's family, so it would sound odd to my siblings. This is our family's euphemism for passing gas (I'm sure many families have their own unique phrases for this.) Unfortunately, it sounds very close to "poop" which can be very confusing for caretakers or teachers. "You did what in your pants?!" Our kids were thrilled when we visited their cousins in Washington a year ago, and they said this at their house too. Only recently has Elora realized other people at school use a different word, and she's been quite perturbed about it.
(No Photo Available;-))
![]() |
| She's a total milk scroucher |
schnaupper: This one is pretty obvious. A schnaupper is so schnapped they're totally falling down drunk. Man, those guys on Fiddler on the Roof get totally schnaupped when they're toasting Lazar Wolf's marriage to Tzeitel. Totally.
speaking of made-up words...a few years ago I did a post about how we have some nicknames for our kids. Elora is Saucy, and Josh was PoePea McGee (though we don't really use it anymore). Since then, we've added some new nicknames to our family, that I think you need to know about.
When Jonah was a baby, we called him Licky Micky or Kicky Micky, depending on if his tongue was hanging out of his mouth, or if he was kicking his feet while his diaper was changed.
Now Licky Micky has his own sidekick, Twisty Pete. Yes, this is Eli's new name, bestowed upon him because he twists and wiggles a lot while being held or having his diaper changed. He can also be known as Eli Beli, or just Beli (pronounced bee-lie). Sometimes Beli transforms into Beli Brown, and this must be followed by a verse of the song Leroy Brown: "He was bad, bad Beli Brown, baddest boy in the whole dang town, badder than old King Kong, meaner than a junkyard dog!" which of course isn't true. But he does enjoy the song.
![]() |
| Beli Brown is so bad he takes my teething ring away from me! |
Twisty Pete is something of a milk scroucher, you know.





7 comments:
Cute! My family has some made up words, as well. I have never used them yet as passwords, but I think they'd be pretty good passwords. Hard to crack, anyway. Certainly better than Password1.
Also, I like all of your individual words. I could totally adopt them into my vocabulary.
scroucher? I thought it was squoucher...possibly a derivative of squelcher, though with a different meaning. I like twisty pete he sounds like a pirate.
I agree with Kiera, Twisty Pete is a wonderful pirate name!
Growing up, my family had lots of nicknames (especially me) but not a lot of made up words. Now, Steve and I don't really have "made up" words, but we use real words for different meanings.
And yes, it's fun to confuse people when we use them our way!
I love that your kids are growing up with these words and using them. What a great bond!
My family didn't do that growing up, but we do it with out kids, especially with nicknames. Melanie's is one she wouldn't appreciate me telling you, Carter's is fishfood, and Riley is Ri-bug. Nothing super creative, but it's unique to them.
This was a delightful read! I love it! My only made up word that I can think of is "kidlings" for nieces and nephews. I want it to catch on around the whole planet, but I have to be more patient, I guess.
cardine-passwords..that is a good idea!
kiera-well, that's how you pronounce it sure, I was just picturing it being pronounced by someone who doesn't say 'r' correctly, like a small child.
julie-yeah, I was thinking of Twisty Pete as maybe a train robber.
Missy- Fishfood? Interesting...
Sarah-it could happen, right?
Post a Comment