Thursday, April 19, 2012

Strange skies

When we first moved here, I posted lots of sunset pictures. I'm still amazed at the wide expanse of the sky here, so different than the mountains and trees that obscured the view at our previous homes. Most of the time, I watch the sunset from our kitchen window in the evenings while cleaning up dinner. In the winter this white house obscures the sun, but as the world inches toward summer the sky is shifting so that I have a better view again!
Sometimes I will still snap a picture but I can be too busy or lazy to go out, so I just capture the view from the window, like in this shot from a few weeks ago.

Notice the reflection of the kitchen in the shot? Yeah I shoulda turned the light off.
The other day we had been under a heavy cloud cover all day, and it was just around sunset that the sun finally peeked through. It looked so weird, I just had to step outside to take a few pictures.


These pictures may look like they are out of focus, but it really looked like this in real life! The sun was barely peeking through the haze,



casting its feeble light upon the plains as it sunk down to the horizon.



As the evening deepened, the sun turned a more firey orange and I took one final pic. But when I turned back to face the west I saw that I had been missing some beautiful sky in the other direction as well!
I don't know why, but these colors and the stillness of the evening really struck me.


































 It just looked so surreal with the sky touching the ground, almost like a stage set with a matte painting behind it. Or maybe a scene from the beginning of time before the world was full of cities and people. Well....except for that random metal think there on the ground. But still.


















 What do you think it looks like? Does it speak to you?



3 comments:

Mellissa said...

If your pictures, or anyone's pictures for that matter, are speaking to me, then I better be seeking some professional help.

However, your pictures are lovely, and it is so weird to see the sky meet the ground like that. The mountains here make that hard to see!

Anonymous said...

Those are really neat.

The last picture is of a portal opening into heaven... the door is descending, much like a mechanism on a space ship, or one of those attic doors with the ladders.

tearese said...

We're all mad here, Missy. I'm sorry.
Sarah, hey yeah, I could see that!