Monday, May 21, 2012

Lists of things

Like so many other people out there, my life is full of lists. When I was a student, I used to write things down all the time so that I'd be sure to get things done, but these days most of my lists are internalized, flitting in an out of  my consciousness, sometimes surprising me when I recall, "oh yeah, I was gonna do that, wasn't I?" Occasionally I'll hone in on a list and accomplish a few things (like the artwork I recently completed) but it's always at the expense of other things.
What kind of lists do I have, you ask? Well let me tell you.

There is the really big projects that will never get done list:
  • Finish Quilt(s) made of everyone's old holy jeans (the pile keeps growing!)
    mine looks nothing like this good
  • Have children's book written and illustrated and submitted to publishers ( get a good idea first :P)
  • Make archives of all old artwork in my possession  (including photographing, color correcting photos, filing, and putting on my art blog or another suitable place, in case our house blows away in a tornado. (I've started this, and it's proving to be a BIG job!) 

yes, even little things like this scratch-art I did with Elora last summer
  • Get all of our computer home movies organized and onto disks in case our computer implodes
  • type up all of my old poetry and creative writing from school, as apparently my floppy disks are now obsolete. (Scan this stuff for book ideas!)
  • photoscan all of my kids' artwork and projects then somehow organize into a compact record (Make photo book of them?)
 every once in a while I focus on this big list, and get a few things done, but I just can't devote that much time to these things on a regular basis.
 
Then there is the smaller yet always ongoing projects list:
  • write on the back of all photos and put in photo album which is also labeled

  • rotate pictures on the walls and keep up to date
  • keep kids' baby books and scrapbooks up to date
  • write in kids journals every time they do something memorable (I do this one more often if I worry that they might die in an accident sometime soon)
  • work on artwork so that I can build up a portfolio and develop a distinctive style, then I can complete children's book goal from the big list.
  • update blog and write in journal (these often work hand in hand, and help me to keep up on organizing my photos on the computer as well.)
  • Actually read a book all the way through..this happens a lot more rarely that in did when I was single.
I'm pretty good at keeping up on this list, but it's always lurking in the back of my mind!


Then there are all the things I know I need to be doing with my kids! These are the things that suffer the most if I spend too much time focusing on bigger goals. Sigh.
Kids list:
  • play games with the kids, like Concentration or Go Fish (easier when Elora was home because she likes this stuff!)
  • get the kids to go outside by going out with them, walking or playing outside games (this one is the hardest for me!)
  • read to the kids more often, especially the baby
  • teach the kids letters, writing, numbers, etc. so they are more school ready- I was so much better at this with Elora, because she was really interested! With Josh, it's torture.
  • sing to the kids so they know nursery rhymes and primary songs they don't hear elsewhere. (I'm proud to say, I'm doing great on this one!)



Then there is long term household chores list,that I need to do on a regular basis but I must admit it sometimes doesn't happen:

  • clean bathrooms

so I googled "Dirty bathrooms" first. Yeah, I didn't want to look at those pictures any longer than I had to!
  • mop floors
  • vacuum carpets
  • dust (snort, yeah right.)
  • windows, etc.


Sadly, the daily household chores list is what takes up a ton of my time. Stuff like:
  • get Elora ready for school, comb her hair, etc.
  • daily dishes (no, we don't have a dish washer.)
  • make breakfast, lunch, and sometimes dinner (thanks, Joseph!), then clean up the messy kids.
  • dress everyone or make sure they dress themselves in the morning.
  • sweep kitchen at least four times a day (and it still doesn't look like it.)
  • clean up the big dinner mess every night (thanks, Joseph!)
and the "special" household chores list that aren't every day, but are still regular: 
  • laundry

  • pay bills
  • grocery shopping (which takes all day, with the 40 minute drive to town, and always scheduling our other errands on the same day!)


So I have all these lists, but I'm realizing my day is often filled up with things that weren't even on a list, and I wonder, what did I do today? Maybe I need to add these things to my daily list, so at least I feel like I accomplished something.
A typical day might include the daily chores list above, as well as:
  • breakfast, then wash dishes that I didn't have time for the night before.
  • nurse baby several times a day and feed baby other food at meals (while nursing the baby check email, facebook, and blog, since he won't let me read a book while I feed him)-seriously, he will hit a book out of my hand or kick it repeatedly-then after I put the baby down forget I was going to do some other stuff and stay on the computer for an hour.
  • leave computer on so I can play music and periodically check FB, so I can feel like I see other people during the day ;)
  • change baby's diaper several times a day
  • lunch
  • find a random project I have to take care of right now, like clearing off a counter space, organizing bills, clearing off someone's dresser (cough-Joseph's-cough), rotating kids clothes to the next size up, writing a really long blog post, etc.
  • Argue with Josh all morning that he can't get on the computer and waste time on pbskids.org, then give in and let him anyway while I try to get Jonah to take a much-needed  nap.
  • try for an hour to get Jonah to take a nap, and then he still might get up, while I fall asleep in his room for half an hour.
  • if the baby isn't down for a nap yet, nurse him and accidentally fall asleep, or get on the computer again while I hold him.
  • Possibly achieve something from one of the other goals list, like scanning art or play a game with Josh
  • answer a phone call from someone (cough-Kiera-cough) and talk for over an hour, thus not finishing the project I just started working on, or not playing with Josh.
  • walk to the mailbox (may take half an hour or longer sometimes, if the kids come and get distracted).
  • get kids to pick up toys, blankets, couch cushions, or whatever else they destroyed during the day.
  • fight with kids to brush their teeth, get on pj's etc. 
  • spend forever on "bedtime" reading stories and singing, but I don't want to shorten bedtime routine because I at least feel like I did something nurturing with my kids for the day.
  • watch a tv show on hulu or a movie with Joseph, while he falls asleep on the couch. (we like Castle, Psych, Once Upon a Time, Grimm, Warehouse 13, Raising Hope, Monk reruns and a few others)
  • play on pinterest or facebook for another half hour for no apparent reason except it's fun to sit in the living room by myself.
  • go to bed and realize I could've been reading a book or doing something productive for the last half an hour, or getting more sleep, but I forgot.
(Am I boring you yet?)
When I see everything in list form like this, it simultaneously makes it seem more overwhelming, and easier to organize, since it's written out before me! Every day I feel like I didn't do anything, yet I did a lot. Does anyone else feel this way? I have to keep reminding myself that the "personal goals" need to take a back seat to being a good parent; I don't want to regret missing my kids' childhoods because I had too many other things to do!
Hmm, I guess it's all about balance. When Elora was a baby, I spent all day focused on her: I never watched tv (we got bad reception) I didn't get on the computer during the day (we had dial-up), didn't drive anywhere or see anyone because Joseph needed the car all day,  and I never did artwork or read books on my own. I'm well aware that all this attention probably played a big part in her being at the top of her kindergarten class this year (and the top of the first grade class as well!) but I wasn't very happy not doing anything to help develop myself.
Sometimes I worry that I occasionally spend too much time doing selfish things nowadays. But while I sometimes have wasted days (hmmm, like today?) I at least feel like I have more balance in my life most of the time, and I"m pretty happy with what I've got!
How about you? What kind of stuff do you wish you could get done every day?


7 comments:

Cardine said...

Well, I'm glad I'm not alone in feeling unproductive. I know I get stuff done, but for me there are a lot of things that I WANT to get done that don't get done, like general cleaning, gardening, organizing. I can't figure out how to get it all done!

julie said...

Life is a balancing act; the best we can do is to find a balance that makes us the happiest. I can't imagine the skill it must take to balance a personal life (artwork, creativity, reading, etc.) with being a wife AND mother to four kids! I think you're doing a better job than you realize. I also think it's important for your kids to see you have a life that doesn't revolve around them.

Finally, I have a children book series that I'm writing. I can't draw. I'll need someone to illustrate the books when I think they're ready. Would you be interested?

tearese said...

cardine-glad I'm not alone!

julie-thanks for the support. As for your book, thanks for the offer! But the way it usually works is the publisher picks the illustrator.. often when a two person team submits a story, the publisher might buy the story and toss the illustrator for one they're already contracted with.

Besides, everywhere I've lived someone's told me they're writing a children's book and they ask me to illustrate it, and I've discovered I just don't have the time to commit to it, at least for the next few years..so I don't want to say I'll do it and not follow through.

julie said...

Tearese, I've wondered about how an illustrator would come into the picture since I can't illustrate my own books (darn it!!). I wondered if I had to have someone already picked out, so to speak, which is why I thought of you! That said, I've never asked you before because of the last paragraph in your comment - I figured you are really, really busy! :)

KieraAnne said...

Yeah...I always mean to do stuff but then I call someone *cough Tearese cough* and talk for too long about how we should be doing stuff with our kids and instead don't get anything done. Good times. ;)

Anonymous said...

Here's my list:

*write a list of things to do


I think once I can do that, then maybe life will seem less like a whirlwind. All in good time, I guess....

tearese said...

sarah- sounds good to me!