Wednesday, March 27, 2013

drawing and text

I mentioned in a previous post that I've been seeing a lot of artwork with the incorporation of words, and I'm fascinated with it! It's always been around, but where it used to be you'd see it in planning sketches for bigger works, now it is becoming the art itself. Sometimes it's labeled as "creative journaling", other times it borders on scrapbooking; either way I think I'd like to try it myself.
I've always been good at the technical aspect of just drawing a picture, but I've often been envious of those who are more inovative and good at the creative side of things. This feels like something I could really do, as I've always been a journal-writing person and a lover of words.
Anyway, I thought' I'd show you some examples that I really love, before I show you anything I might do.I would love to give credit to the original artists for all of these, but some of them I just couldn't find a name. Sorry.
So, this first one is an example of mixed media/collage, using old book pages and paint. I've seen tons of these, and love to look at them. However I think I would feel to guilty destroying a book, even if I bought it at Salvation Army or something. I love the contrast of the sketchy flowers, the realistic girl, and the linear print here. It's a dictionary page, and the word at the top is "daughter". Awesome!


Colette Leisen























This next one is much simpler, a way to write down ideas but with an illustration. I think I'd like to try doing things like this more often in my journal, instead of just typing or writing it out plainly. The only downside is it looks a little too much like a motivational poster to be hangable fine art, but it would be lovely in a journal!

Mandi Lee, copicme.blogspot.com























Here is another one that is perfect for journaling, also from the same artist and website, simple and fun:

Mandi Lee, copicme.blogspot.com
























This one is more of a fine art piece. I love it! I really like the unfinished look of a lot of these examples:


Dominique Fortin
























This one is definitely an art journal example. I really like this one; my problem is I'm always afraid of ruining a nice drawing by writing on it, though I admire it in others. That's probably why I like it.


Pam Carriker
 
























This one is more collage-y like the first one. It makes me think a little of cutsie crafty scrapbook stuff. But it's actually not cutsie, it's a little strange and dark, so it's awesome. Wouldn't this be a cool card to get from a friend?

Jeanne Oliver




































This next is very simple; a complex tree rendered into a flat pattern. It wouldn't be nearly as attractive to me without the verses found beneath. This is kind of what I was thinking of when I did the drawing with the two boys, and the song lyrics a few weeks ago:



elybrid23 (flickr)























I am completely in love with this following painting. Probably because, as you know, I myself am rubbish when it comes to doing watercolors. This drawing is perfection in itself, but with the words that make it into a memory, I just want to sit and stare at it for hours. Love.

Kate Johnson





































Finally, I love this. Another that looks almost unfinished, but I admire that. I have a tendancy to overwork and overfinish things, and I wish I could just stop like this sometimes, and leave it up to the imagination, but withe the look that it was intentional.

Florian Nicolle
























So what do you think? Do you like these, or is it really not for you?


3 comments:

julie said...

I like them. The last few more so than the first two, but I liked them all. I think it would be hard to draw something and then add words because I have horrible writing and would be afraid of ruining what I drew (which is all theoretical anyway since I draw worse than I write!). It's really neat to see other people do it and do it nicely. I'm looking forward to seeing what you do!

Sarah said...

Your definition of "rubbish" must mean "fantastically good", as far as what I've seen.

I like these. A lot.

tearese said...

julie- I don't know, I kind of like the ones with the bad writing better; it seems more real and not so contrived. But that's just me.
Sarah- ah thanks.