So I decided I really loved the baptism pictures we took of Elora by the window at church.
The last three years we have taken some lovely pictures for Elora's birthday, but they all had the same grassland backgrounds; this year I decided I wanted something different. Why not do more like the window picture? Of course, I always forget that I'm much better at taking pictures outside than inside. Part of that is I don't have all of the tools I need to take better inside pictures- something to reflect light or a secondary light source, plus I usually forget my tripod.
This time I also had light that wasn't as bright and perfect as I'd had the day before for the window picture- it was overcast and dim. On top of that I had conflicting ideas about what I wanted. I loved the mysterious high contrast photo I had already, but I also wanted some that captured her smile and had less harsh lighting. I had one from the previous day where I liked her expression (yay, dimple), but her face is too shadowy- I know it will print too dark.
In the end, I decided the first picture from Saturday is the one I will hang on my wall, but at least now I have some smiling ones to choose from for her scrapbook too.
One thing that made the first pictures nice was the contrast of her white shirt. The next day she wore a lacy shirt she got for her birthday, which I thought would add some interesting texture, but really the white shirt was better. Also, because of the dim light (and no tripod) the pictures aren't nearly as sharp. Boo.
I liked the black and white aspect of the original picture, so I made most of these in both black and white as well as color to see which I liked better. Here's the first group of b+w.
![]() |
| I like the contrast of the bottom left, the expression in the top right, and the composition of the bottom right. |
![]() |
| I wish the bottom left had the nice eye detail from the right. I do love the color of her shirt in the top left though. |
I just realized I don't have the color version of this photo in the group, so here ya go. I like this picture a lot, but it will definitely print dark:

Here are a few horizontal ones:
![]() |
| On the bottom one, now I'm thinking maybe I'd like it more without the added texture around it. Hmm. |
Here are some with more body. I like composition of these ones, but I would like them more if they had a sharper focus. I'm also thinking maybe I should've taken the molding out of the picture?
![]() |
| I really like the gesture in the bottom photo, I just with the light was better and the detail was sharper. |
![]() |
| This one is okay..I'm wondering if I'd like it better if it were whiter. What do you think? |
I did take one picture I really liked; unfortunately, it wasn't really a portrait. oh well.

Elora is a cute eight year old no matter what kind of photo we take!








1 comment:
I like lots of them...I like the texture in the one you said you should take it out of and I agree about maybe taking out the molding in those standing ones. I like the ones where you can see more of her so you can see the color of her shirt...and whoa, her eyes are like green, cool...and...she looks just like you in a bunch of them which is weird...but I guess you're related or something.
Post a Comment