Wednesday, November 19, 2014

Christmas Quilt

For Christmas this year, I decided to make Elora her own quilt that fits on her twin bed. Really, we just have tons of jeans and I hate throwing them away. Since I finished that quilt in May, I figured it wouldn't hurt to make a few more. This one turned out even better, because I knew more about what I was doing!
In making these quilts, I've discovered: I hate following patterns and symmetry , I like discovering ways to fit things together- like Tetris! And I'm still not very good at sewing, but its fun to come up with creative ways to hide that fact.
Elora's quilt is thicker and might I say prettier than the first one I made. She loves red, so I got some material that was super soft and pretty. Bonus, some of the jeans I used had some red detailing already! I got thicker batting too, so it's nice and fluffy.
 I tried to use a lot of Elora's old jeans that had fancy pockets or patches that added that unique touch.























Considering that the kids always fight over the other quilt when I get it out, I think she'll really like this one!
This was a patch in Elora's pants


















I added some embellishment to the patches with light pink thread.  The patches are mostly used to tie the quilt together and add visual interest- also to obscure long lines that show where the sections were joined together.























These pockets were cute too!






















It's hard to tell without any context, but the quilt is about 53" wide, and 100" long. I almost wish it was for me!


2 comments:

KieraAnne said...

Nice! Next you should make me one. :-)

Anonymous said...

WOW! I'm impressed. Looks wonderful. I'm sure Elora will be more than pleased.