Saturday, January 12, 2008

Little Miss Attitude


So I have this two year old. Sometimes she's sweet, and cute, and funny. But lately she has taken to being very obnoxious.
I suppose you could attribute it to the "terrible twos", whatever that is.

The last few months, she has taken to arguing with me about everything. Like, she will start mispronouncing words she has always said right, and she will argue with me about how to say it! For instance, her new thing is to drop the "s" sound off of any word. I think she thinks it only has an 's' if its plural. So, instead of saying "cheese" she will say, " I want some "Chee".

When I correct her- "Elora, say cheese"- she'll look at me like I'm stupid and say , "No, its cheeee, mom."
Or the other night, "Elora, 'ba' isn't a word, its pronounced, "bath". Now say it right, like you used to.."bath".
"No, listen mom. Say baaaa."

She also loves to strip off her clothes to go au natural. She's done this before, but I used to be able to put her clothes back on her and she'd leave them for a while. Now a days, she claws and fights and strips again, claiming that she's sweaty, and she doesn't want underwear. Augh!

And ever since she's been able to sit at the table with us for meals (Joshua is in her highchair) she refuses to stay put. Even when we have something we know she loves, she jumps up from the table and goes to turn the tv on in the living room. We end up bringing her back to her chair repeatedly. She will insist on using her fingers even though she's been able to use silverwear since she was 16 months old, and in the end she will only eat if we feed her every bite ourselves.

Her being sick this week has made everything even worse. She used to always ask to take naps; she was to a point where she could go in and use the bathroom by herself. Now she is fighting me about everything.

The other night I was trying to get her to go potty before bed...actually, she asked to get up and go because she thought she could trick me into letting her go back into the living room instead of to bed.

As she played around on the toilet, I grew increasingly impatient and started threatening various things if she didn't hurry up. With each thing I said, she would make a face at me, like she was imitating and mocking me. Then she adopted a big, fake, snotty smile. In a sweet little voice she stated, "My don't like you."

I kind of laughed a shocked little laugh and said, "What?" She repeated sweetly, "My don't like you mommy."

It soon became evident that she didn't have to go to the bathroom after all, and I took her kicking and screaming back to her room (again, she used to like bedtime!).

I honestly didn't expect to have to deal with the "I don't like you" thing 'till she was at least seven or eight. I just hope my patience can last through her high school years!

9 comments:

KieraAnne said...

That sucks. I hope Isabelle doesn't start doing that when she turns two...in eight days. ;)

Cardine said...

Wow, she wants to be a baby again!!! You should make her wear a diaper or something. Hee hee.

Actually, my niece went through a really snotty phase. It still lingers a bit, but it has gotten much, much better. She had to go through a lot of time outs.

tearese said...

cardine- yeah, the only thing is, she would love it if I let her wear a diaper. Whenever she finds one,she strips down and puts it on herself. I'm sure part of it is jealousy toward all the attention her brother has been getting.

Anonymous said...

Hopefully it's just a phase! How is Joshua doing?

tearese said...

Joshua is doing much better, thanks! He's started nursing again (though I don't think theres as much milk as there used to be, but at least I prevented it from being gone completely.) He is also happy most of the time again.
He does seem more sensitive and I think he lost some muscle tone while he was sick, because his arms and legs seem weaker than before. Hopefully this will come back quickly!
He also has a bad cough and wakes up at night choking, but not too often.

Kara said...

William has told me he hate's me countless times. He's been saying it less lately. I think all kids go through that. He still tells me I'm a bad mom though. This is whenever we disagree with how he should be acting. I just say, "yeah, but I'm the only Mom you've got." Maybe you could try a booster seat with a buckle for dinner. They're cheap at Walmart. Good luck.
I'm glad to hear that Joshua is doing better. Have you tried anything to increase your milk supply? There are some herbs- Fenugreek (sp?), Fennel, and milk thistle that I've heard help. Also oats are supposed to help. I don't know how much you want it to go up, but if you do, those are supposed to help! I hope he gets over his cough soon!

tearese said...

thanks Kara- I've heard about the Fenugreek and Oats, but have only tried the oats so far. Elora has a booster seat, but she knows how to undo buckles. She used to always stand up in her high chair too.

julie said...

My niece also went through that phase, too, though I didn't notice it as bad as her mother did - I wasn't around her as much! She still has an attitude every so often, but not nearly as much! Good luck!

I'm also glad Joshua is feeling better.

Rose said...

I know you didn't ask for advice... but the best advice I can give is don't relent. If you give into her, and sometimes tolerate her behavior... then she'll realize that SOMETIMES she can get away with it... and she'll keep testing you to see how often she can get away with it. If you don't ever give in... then she'll learn that she can't get away with it... no matter how many times she tries or how big of a fit she throws. She'll eventually give up (though it may take some time and patience before she does)!