Wednesday, April 23, 2008

Dumb Arguments

Do you ever find yourself having really ridiculous arguments with people, especially when you're tired? Those of you who are married probably know this tune well, but it also exists between siblings or perhaps close roommates.

Joseph and I argue about really dumb stuff all the time. And when we're tired, these "discussions" get a little corny to say the least, though we sometimes might only see this in retrospect.

Case in point. Last night after Joseph got home from work at midnight, we were playing a vocabulary game online, that I had discovered through Tirzah's blog. Its cool because it donates food to world hunger when you play it. Really.

So anyway, after we were done playing I asked Joseph if he had had fun learning new words.

"No, it was dumb." He was just trying to get my dander up. "I have a book at school about how to learn vocabulary, I should bring it home for you, " he added.

Excuse me? I replied, "I already know how to learn vocabulary, its really easy for me. I'm the smartest person in the world!" Yeah, I said that.

"If you're the smartest person in the world, how come you didn't know some of the words on the game?" He thought he had me there.

"Because no one else in the world knows those words either, " I answered smugly.

"What about the people who made the game? They had to know the definitions of those words. "

"Nope. They had to look them up in a dictionary. So there." Oh yeah, I had won.
.........................................................................................................................................

Another late night (we have a lot of these) I had said or done something to annoy Joseph (I don't remember what.)

I was sitting at the computer at the time, and he had tersely told me, "Don't go look at my blog."

"Why," I asked in mild interest, "did you do something new to it?"

"No, I'm just mad at you so I don't want you to look at it," he answered somewhat sheepishly.

"Fine," I answered. " I'll never look at it again. And I'll tell everyone on my blog not to look at it ever again either."

This elicited a wail from my husband, "No!"

"Yep," (I was just warming up), "I'm gonna tell people you put naughty pictures on there so they shouldn't ever go there at all."

"Oh yeah?" His hackles were rising. He he.
"Well....I'm gonna post a video on your blog of people fighting, and people will think you posted it as a way to say, 'This is you and I'm gonna beat you up if you look at my blog'."

This made absolutely no sense and we were kind of laughing now, but I still replied, "People who read my blog would like a video like that. They'd think I was really cool."

End of argument.

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

We have dumb arguements when I am pregnant. I don't know what my problem is (hormones I guess) but I got mad at Aaron for looking for a side job! I usually can't explain and he doesn't know how to act around me. Good thing it only lasted for the first trimester!!!

(Thanks for the plug, BTW!)

tearese said...

tirzah- oh yeah pregnancy always brings out the arguing in me...and its usually unexplainable for me too.

Rose said...

Haha... it's kind of funny to look back on it on hindsight though!

Anonymous said...

Oh, that is too funny! I'm glad I'm not the only one who says weird things at night when I'm tired. :)

Kara said...

LOL! Those are really hilarious arguments. I think Aaron is too logical, and I'm too serious for those. Not that we haven't argued about stupid things, it just doesn't come out that funny.

Rhea said...

Arguing through the blog, that's funny.

I loved your 17 year old photo! I think you're so pretty...ok, those glasses are kind of big, but otherwise, you look great! I love your hair.

julie said...

I love this. I need to hear this. I have some issue that says arguing = not loving. Really, I think that if I get mad at someone, or if I'm illogical sometimes, they won't like me any more. I "know" that that isn't the case, but I struggle to overcome it. So, it's helpful to hear that two people who love each other so much sometimes have silly arguments. Thanks!

Mellissa said...

When it's late is when Ben and I usually laugh the most/argue the most. Usually more laughing than arguing, thank goodness. We have a rule: No quoting "Young Frankenstein" after 11:00 p.m. Otherwise we are up until all hours laughing at each other.

Rhea said...

BTW, I would be able to contain myself and not look at his blog, if he told me not too. lol Are you going to resist?

Also, tag, you're IT! (I tagged you for a meme on my site, sorry! You're welcome to ignore it if you want.)

denedu said...

I am seriously laughing here! David and I can get like that, but most recently it was Kaiden. Yup...my four year old had announced to me that he knew everything. And then a few days later when I was getting frustrated that he couldn't do his buckles on his overalls and kept coming to me what seemed to be every five minutes I said..."I thought you knew everything?"...to which he answered..." I don't know how to DO everything, but I KNOW everything, mommy!" hahahaha