Saturday, July 19, 2008

Catalog Clothes

I love looking at Fall Fashion catalogs. I haven't received anything of the sort in the mail for probably eight years or so, and I had forgotten how much I loved reviewing the fashions of autumn. Until now.

Ever since I ordered myself a birthday present from Victoria's Secret, I am on their mailing list...and they mail their catalogs annoyingly often. Thing is, they don't just have the huge underwear selection that everyone knows about. They actually have some really nice clothes- you know, classy stuff mixed in with the lace and junk.

Its something about the mixture of textures, autumn colors, layers...something about the Fall clothes that are so much more appealing to me than anything Spring or Summer selections have to offer. Oh yeah, probably the more modest coverage has something to do with it too.

And I always ask myself, "Why don't my autumn clothes look like all of these things I like? Hmm. It might be a money thing. No, I'm sure it is. Not to mention being raised not to buy things unless I really need them.

So here is my solution. I'll show you some of my favorite things out of the fall catalog, and you can buy me something! I promise, I will comment on your blog every post for a year. Thanks so much.

One thing that struck me about the clothes this year, is the high waist is coming back into fashion..and its actually on clothes that look good, not the tapered leg ugly things that you usually have to buy for a high waist. They're wide-legged without the annoyingly low waistline. Yes! Plus, they have that stretchy denim instead of the thick stuff. Bonus: 34 inch inseams. Perfect. Check these out... is it weird that I love how they look like pants my mom had in our old photos?


(Doesn't it strike you as strange to have a woman with a seductive expression and her hair blowing sexily, while wearing waist-high jeans? Maybe I will look this way if I buy these too?)




(I'm not sure, but I may like these just because I like the photo. It really strikes me as "end of August meets beginning of September." If I ever had a kid in August, I want to name him August..its cool now because of August Rush, right? Anyway. October would be a good name too. Joseph doesn't agree.)

They also had some very lovely sweaters for sale. I only have one sweater I really love right now, the one I got for Christmas. I definitely need to find it some friends, don't you think?

This is my favorite of all the sweaters featured, I guess because its unique and textured. This color or the camel would be great. Look at the great detailing:



I love the idea of this sweater. But I think I would like it even more with different colors...like moss green and orange or something. Or not:


I love this whole outfit. Its got texture, style, and awesome corduroys with a front seam. I love that. Yes Cardine, they actually had a very nice selection of colored corduroys. I thought of you.


I figured I would call and cancel this catalog before Joshua got to old to start sneaking peeks at it, but Elora has alerted me to the fact that I might have to take this action earlier than expected. One day I was standing in the kitchen looking at a cute sweater in said catalog, and I said aloud, "Oh, this is really cute!"
Elora was standing in front of me and she pointed up at the back of the catalog. "I like that one mommy, I want to wear silly clothes like that."
I turned it over to see what she was pointing at, and to my embarrassment the back cover featured a woman in lacy underwear and a garter belt. Yikes! I quickly turned the page so that she was looking at a sweater too, and inwardly cursed VS for putting skank on the back cover. Oh wait. Its Victoria's Secret. Of course that's on the back cover.

So before I have to cancel it...I really need to get something, don't you think?

17 comments:

tearese said...

my blog is retarded. Note that it says I wrote this on Saturday...and its still Friday. It was supposed to wait until tomorrow to publish! Stupid thing.

Cardine said...

Go in your settings and make sure you have it set on the right time zone.

So, I really do like those cords. They are cute! It's too bad that a lot of catalogs have skanky stuff in them. And a lot of times they put skanky stuff on the cover. I wish they could be more clean.

Apparently I just got signed up for a complimentary subscription to Elle magazine. It's so weird. I've never gotten into magazines before, and I probably won't. It's too bad that there isn't a more clean one. I'd probably get more into a fashiony one if I knew that it wouldn't be skanky.

Cardine said...

Oh, and I was going to tell you that one technique that I use is when I find some clothes item that I want, then sometimes I bookmark the page and check it often enough to know when it goes on sale. And then I get it when it's at a price I'm willing to pay. Maybe you can do that with this stuff?

tearese said...

cardine-yes its the right timezone. I think what happened is I originally put it a day early, but when I changed it, it didn't "un" publish it. Oh well. Yeah, most subscriptions like this I got complimentary. LIke, I have a complimentary subscription to Fitness magazine, and I'm so glad its about to run out. There are always girls in bikinis on the front, and it has a bunch of junk about diets inside, sprinkled between the exercise articles...none of which I am interested in.
Maybe I will bookmark these.

denedu said...

It's kind of funny how fashion works. It seems that after 20 or so years everything comes back in style. I have to admit I had some jeans like those pictured when I was in elementary school. Wooohoooo for the flared look! :) It's hard now, too, because I'm not a skinny twig like those gals in the photos...soooooo...I can't just look at the photos and think..hmmmm, yah, those would look cute. Now it's more like..yah, those look cute, but my butt is tooooo big! Here's a wooohooo for our lovely post-child bearing bodies! hahahaha

Kara said...

I actually wore pants just like that! my mom had saved them from high school. None of them fit now though. Not for ages! They are very cute, and I love that sweater too. Too bad about the "silly clothes" on the back.

julie said...

I think you'd look really cute in those jeans and sweaters. Cardine's suggestions is an excellent one; I'm not that patient. I rarely buy clothes, but when I want to I don't wait. Hmmm. I should work on that.

I love Fall clothes best, too.

Whimsy said...

You totally have the long legs to carry those pants off. I'm jealous.

Anonymous said...

It's a deal: when I become a rich philanthropist I will buy you these clothes. They are very nice.

(And since I'll be rich, I'll buy some for myself too, while I'm at it.)

Anonymous said...

I love that brown sweater--so modest, yet stylish! I also like the higher waistlines. Too bad they don't offer a catalog that only has their non-lingerie clothing for you to get.

tearese said...

denedu- true, sometimes I forget I don't exactly look like that anymore!
kara- thats funny that everyone had clothes like that.
julie- I'm not very patient either!
whimsy-um thanks, I think?
sarah- thanks! Its a deal.
heidi- I could see you wearing the brown sweater, it looks like something you would have.

Mellissa said...

You are definitely not alone in your love of Autumn clothes. Not only is it a modesty issue (try buying a dress or nice blouse to go with a skirt during Spring and Summer), but there's something about Autumn that says comfort.

I never thought much about models in underwear when I was a kid. I'm much more aware of it now. But it's funny with my own kids - Melanie, my 10-year-old, will cover her eyes when we walk through the underwear/bra section at Wal-Mart, while Carter, my six-year-old, holds both arms stretched out wide to touch them as we walk by. Don't even get me started.

If it were me, I'd buy the first pair of pants you posted and that absolutely beautiful red sweater. I agree, my two sweaters are lonely creatures in my closet. But, alas, I married a teacher!

tearese said...

missy- thats funny about your kids! My daughter's still a nudist, so we'll see how she reacts when she's older. My husband is a student becoming a teacher, so we're in the same boat!

Rosanna said...

Hey! I found your blog yesterday from Andrea. I LOVE your pics of Elora sleeping. She is so adorable!

Aaron and I are doing great. Life is fun with our little toddler...he is growing so quickly!

It is great to hear from you!

Doreen said...

Hey, the 70's are back! Love those jeans. I never buy myself clothes. I can never find stuff I like. My closet is sad, really. I take up about half as much space as Dave does. Is there something wrong with that???

kanaboke said...

I think you'd actually look pretty amazing in some o' those outfits so if you can convince somebody for real, to get one of your most favorite sweaters from the three listed AND a pair of those cute jeans, I say, you should get it!!!!

Sara Hammond said...

So I know you wrote this a long time ago, but I found your blog recently and am reading old posts...I have ordered from the VS website before and I love it. Usually I drop the catalogs straight into the recycling (even though we don't have any kids to hide them from!). Btw, they also have an awesome return policy/procdure. Good luck!

Sara Hammond
sara.hammond.wa@gmail.com