Wednesday, July 16, 2008

Reunions and Vacations

In just a few weeks, we will be going to a week long family Reunion with my family. I am pretty excited, because they have these reunions every two years but for various reasons I haven't been able to attend since before I got married.

As long as I can remember, my family's summer vacations always revolved around visiting my mother's family all around the western United States. But in1991, they decided to make it easier for everyone and just hold a big reunion over four or five days. Its funny how my siblings and I enjoy these get-togethers with people we only see at the reunion..my dad's family all lived nearby, but we couldn't care less if we never ran into them. Isn't that horrible?

And its not like we have that much in common with all of our cousins, but we as siblings were excited to see the aunts and uncles. Weird huh. My grandparents had four daughters, one son, and twenty-three grandkids. Aren't my mom and her sisters cute?



The first two reunions were camping trips in Utah and Wyoming, respectively. They were fine enough, and with myself and my cousin "Paul" being the oldest (he's eight months my senior) it was the perfect outing for all the little kids running around. But as kids got older and parents' backs got more rickety, camping was no longer the solution.

The third event was at my grandparent's home in Lander, Wyoming. It was fun, but hectic, and I think the neighbors call the police a few times because we were too noisy. Then the family got smart. They devised a plan where each family would contribute a set amount each month for the two year interval, then those in charge would find a fantastic place for us all to stay and play.

1997 was one of the best: We rented two beachhouses in Oxnard, California. The houses were actually right there on the beach, as you can see in this photo of my youngest brother "Shnaupy" (He's 19 now.)


We not only were on the beach all week (where I got horribly sunburned) , but we got to go to Universal Studios one of the days as well. Sweet! And you would never know from this photo that I can't swim:



My brother "Jimmy" and I are so skinny. Wow, I can hardly remember looking like that. We are so white too. Do you think anyone knew we didn't really live there? Ha.

In 1999 (aren't you so excited to see more bad vacation photos?) We went to a place called Clear Creek Family Ranch, hidden away in a corner of Utah. That was fun because the staff had activities planned already, the food was taken care of for some of the meals, and there were other guests to interact with. Here's me with my twin brother Thain, engaged in some exciting planned game. Oh wait.. he's not tall enough to be my twin for another year or two:


(sidenote: Isn't my shirt the most awesome shirt ever? I think it says "Peace Love and Harmony". But it was too short, and I eventually had to get rid of it. Sigh.)

The last reunion I was present at was in Nauvoo, Illinois in 2001. We saw a lot of church history sites as well as places where our ancestors had lived in the 1800's. It was pretty cool that we were there while the LDS Nauvoo Temple was being reconstructed:




But honestly, my favorite part of that reunion was the trip there. I felt like we were the Griswolds, viewing all of the Americana this great land has to offer. It was our first trip to Mt. Rushmore, which was smaller than I imagined. Can you tell we're so excited?:




Of course we couldn't pass by THIS place even though we'd been there a few times before. I mean, c'mon, everyone knows This MEANS something:


(Ahem, its Devil's Tower if you didn't know.)

And most memorable of all? We went to Wall, South Dakota. Seriously, this place was the epitome of the kitchy vacation stop. On the road there, at least a hundred miles out, you see signs urging you to stop in Wall. "You must see the Drug Store," they say. Really, they're everywhere.
And what is there to see? A tiny town in the middle of nowhere, with a great and spacious drug store. Inside is a restaurant, a few nickle and dime items, and a bunch of junk on display. I guess its not all junk. I mean...they did have this big stuffed Buffalo:



Right next to a Jackalope. And now you'll know what the bumper stickers that say "Wall, South Dakota" are all about.

Yes, I missed the SLC reunion in 2003 (which I'm fine with) and the big cruise in 2005. But really, what would I have done on a cruise with a baby? Besides, I've been on a cruise already. (Joseph was quite sad though).

This year will be low scale- they're holding it at a rented property near Bear Lake, Utah.

Things will be different this time: My sister and I are both married with kids, and three of our cousins are as well.
My grandpa passed away shortly after Nauvoo, and it will be strange if only because he was the one who shot the home videos, and his voice is synonymous in my head with Reunion.

But it should be good...if my dad doesn't offend everyone by talking Politics and Religion every five minutes. Good luck with that.

Stay tuned for a recap in a few weeks time......

12 comments:

KieraAnne said...

Yay Family Camp!! I took that cool shirt and wore it every so often even though it was too short on me too. I finally gave it to Goodwill the last time I cleaned out my closet. I was trying to look happy in the Mt. Rushmore picture, but you're right everyone else looks kinda annoyed. :) I hope this one is fun.

Cardine said...

I just got back from a reunion. They are awesome. It's amazing how many different people can come out of two grandparents.

Kara said...

You have fun reunions. My family is terrible at them! I had to chuckle about living around family that you didn't want to see. I can totally relate. Haha, that was an unitetional pun, but pretty good, don't you think?

tearese said...

kiera- we're excited to see James so Joshua can beat him up..you look way different than you did in those pictures, by the way.

cardine-yes, its strange how varied ones offspring can become!

kara- my dad's family has their reunions once a year in Hurricane at the park. We hate those reunions, and rarely went. Blah. You might even know some of my relatives there, but I don't know all their names.

Mellissa said...

The last time I went to a family reunion was when I was eight or so. Other than that, I don't even remember a family reunion being mentioned in my house growing up.

That will be nice to visit with your cousins and your sister and their kids. I think once you become a parent, there is usually some common ground that makes it easier to talk and get along. Even if it is about diapers and bottles.

KieraAnne said...

Thanks! I was hoping I looked different now. I think I look alot like Ferris in the Mt. Rushmore pic, and not just because it was one of my bigger years...:)

Anonymous said...

Tearese, I saw your comment on my blog and was so excited! I was just hanging out with Justin and we were talking about you and wondering what you were up to (and remembering how you were the only person who took and passed the AP European history test). Anyway, it was fun to see your blog! Your kids are darling.

tearese said...

missy- yeah, it will be a different perspective being one of the parents.I'm already worried about naptimes and such.

kiera- you totally looked like Ferris. But I have some pics like that too.

ally- I'm so excited you stopped by! Actually, Garrett S. took the test too because Mr White told him he'd change his F to an A if he passed it. He got a three and I got a five..we were both very surprised, considering the quality of the class! Congratulations on your books!

tearese said...

ps ALLY- hey, if you come back to read comments...in a few weeks I was going to post some portraits I did right after high school (as soon as I get the notebook from my mom). Can you ask Justin if its okay if I post his picture? I won't put names with faces or anything.
Thanks

Anonymous said...

I just have to say that I am relieved to have reread what I thought said you had a brother that was 8 months your senior. Then, I went back and say that it was your cousin! Whew! LOL

Kara said...

oh my, if you are related to people in hurricane, we could be avoiding the same relatives! haha! I'm related in some way to half the town. We had a reunion at the park Memorial day weekend. Whoohoo!

tearese said...

tirzah- thats really funny! Hey, what are you doing reading this, you just had a baby!
kara- could be....