Upon viewing the photo for portrait#5, I noticed some similarities in features and clothing styles to another of the previous portraits. I soon learned that indeed this was the sister to the girl in portrait #3, even though their eye color is very different.
I started one drawing and scrapped it before it was finished; this one is okay but it is a little large on the paper. (I'm just glad the main purpose of this series is to go into someone's family history, not to look nice grouped together on the wall...though they may very well end up there eventually.)

This girl has brownish-blonde hair with lighter highlights, and stunning blue eyes. I started with the eyes as usual, and while they look dazzling, they are probably a little too intense. (Has anyone seen/read Dune?)

She had a great transparent white bow in her hair that I really wanted to include. Unfortunately, her head is so big on the page that I kind of scrunched the bow up to fit in the drawing, and it doesn't look as cute as the photo. It will probably be cut off if this gets matted. I only used solid white around the edges to keep the transparent look. I also erased some of the dark blue out of her eyes and replaced it with a blue gray. They are still a little surreal though:

She has some really cute freckles in the photo, but I will wait to put them in at the end, once all the other colors are established in her face. But I am putting a lot of bronze-yellow across the bridge of her nose, which seems to imply the freckles even though they're not there yet.
I'm a little worried about her mouth- as I've mentioned before, teeth need to be placed fairly accurately in the mouth even if they're not detailed, or it will look wrong. Her teeth are at a slightly different angle than her lips in life. I think I got the angle right, but I'm not sure her smile is big enough.
Notice that the blue background really bumped up the white in the bow, without my doing anything to it:

At this point I pulled up the photo on the computer to compare, because the print-outs I've been working from have proved to be lacking in detail in the past.
I noticed tons of stuff I needed to fix: her mouth needs to be wider on the left- but the teeth are okay, her hair is too light (as usual), her nose needs to be a tad wider, and I need to define the bulgy (is that a word?) shape under her eyes a lot more.The bow is more transparent than I thought, but I won't worry about that right now. I think I should lighten the eyes more as well.
These small changes to the mouth and eyes really made her look more like the photo..the added colors and freckles helped too. I didn't want to do the freckles too dark and have them look like some kind of blemish, but I hope they're not so light that they're not true to life:

While I finish her sweater I will continually look for any more little things to fix on her face..like how her lips look a little too outlined. But for the most part, I think this looks better than the other two girls I've done so far.
Maybe all this practice is helping me to get back to the skill level I was at in college?
Her sweater started out a little too dark with all that blue, so I tried to warm it up with some orange and brown, while keeping the blue for the shadows. There are still things I could nit-pick over, but I decided I'd done enough:
Not too shabby.
9 comments:
Not too shabby at all! :) You did an excellent job--I love her freckles and smile. What a cute little girl--it looks like you really did her justice. I'm sure they will treasure this!
Not to shabby...these are amazing! You really have a talent for this. I can't draw anything. I bet they will love these.
Awesome!
those are amazing....you have such a great talent!! :)
What a talent you have!!! The only thing I can draw are ligers. hahahaha jk :)
Good job sister! I wish I could draw like that...but I can't even draw stick figures or make a straight line with a ruler! ;)
thanks everyone, I like how it turned out too!
elena- thanks for stopping by!
denedu and kiera- you guys are hilarious.
You always do such a fantastic job. She has beautiful eyes.
Post a Comment