Where did you meet? We met in Seattle, WA. We were in the same summer evening class at the Institute of Religion, across from the University of Washington (where neither of us were going to school.) We didn't really talk until the party on the last day of class, but we talked the whole time. I got his number from the teacher, but was too chicken to call it. We didn't run into each other again until the next year.
What was the first thought that went through your head when you met? I thought he was funny and friendly, and I liked his dimple and laugh. I liked that he was paying so much attention to me and it wasn't weirding me out... Usually when a guy seemed to like me, I would want to avoid them.
Do you remember what he was wearing? Um...pants and a shirt? Not really. But I remember the next summer when we were at a multi-ward singles activity at the beach, and I was totally flirting with him. He was wearing a gray fleece zip up...that I steal all the time now.
Where was the first time you kissed this person? On our first date. But I never did that before! We were watching the movie Return To Me at his apartment.. our date had started at 7pm, and ended around 3AM!
Where did you go for your first date? We walked the Burke-Gilman trail around the UW, then we got ice cream at Ben and Jerrys. We walked to my house but my roommates were watching a movie, so we took the bus to his apartment to watch a show there. Then later I had to take a cab home because the busses weren't running that late, and neither of us had a car.
How long did you know this person before you became a couple? From our first date to our engagement was just about a month. Like I said, I met him the year before, but we'd only started running into each other again about a month before that first date!
How did he ask you out? He called and left a message with my roommates, then called again when I came home. He was so surprised at how quickly I said I'd go out with him. He was lucky too, because another guy from church called while we were out on our date! I didn't realize I was so popular.
How did he propose? I was leaving on a week-long cruise to Mexico and he told me he was writing a story for me. The day I was leaving, he asked if he could read it to me. It had drawings and was a metaphore for the two of us. At the end of the story, the boy in the book asked the girl to marry him, and when you turned the page, he had cut out a circle in the pages, and put the ring in the book! It was so clever, I loved it! Even though I wasn't expecting it so early.
Do you and this person have kids together? Two at the moment. Elora is 3 and Josh is 18 months.
Have you ever broken the law with this person? Hmm, I don't know. Joseph's probably broken some traffic laws while I was in the car with him, but thats about it.
When was the first time you realized you liked this person? I thought he was cute when we were in the class, obviously, since I asked for his number then! Our first date, we both had a feeling we'd be together for a long time.
Do you trust this person? In all the ways that matter!
Do you see him as your partner in the future? We are married for time and all eternity, right? We fight as much as anybody (usually I started it, I'll admit) but I would never consider a life seperate from him.
What is the best gift he gave you? That is hard to say, depends on what you mean. Obviously my kids are a gift. The engagement book was very cool... he always gets me just what I wanted for Christmas. So take your pick.
What is the one thing he does that gets on your nerves? One thing? You've got to be kidding. Some days everything he does annoys me, but I think I get easily annoyed. If I list them all, it'll just make me think about it too much, so I won't.
Where do you see each other 15 years from now? Probably a few more kids, Joseph teaching school, raising our family and hopefully happy and enjoying life.
What causes the most arguments? Money, like many people in relationships. And all the things from #15 that I didn't want to list.
How long have you been together? Married for 5 years.
PS wow, I'm glad I have a nicer camera now than when all of these were taken!
PPS sorry there are no older pictures of us dating; the pics I do have are in Josh's room now while he's taking a nap, and I'd have to scan them. I might add some later. Maybe.
3 comments:
That was really fun to read, Tearese. Thank you for posting it--I don't remember hearing any of that before and I loved it. (And engagement book--how creative!)
I loved reading about you two! Your pictures are so fun!
I love that last picture, it was so fun to read this post. Happy Anniversary!
Post a Comment