Monday, January 19, 2009

First Haircut

For the last month or two, Josh's hair has been growing out nicely. Except, the part that's growing out nicely is only a fringe above his ears and around the bottom of his head!

My youngest brother had hair like this, and my mom would fluff it up so that he had big curls above his ears, as well as a tuft right on the top of his head. He did look a little clown-like, but it was usually pretty cute. He didn't get his first haircut until he was around three.

I was thinking we'd do the same for Josh, after all, his hair has some curl to it, inherited from both Joseph and myself. And it is cute most of the time! However, while on our trip, his hair ceased to look cute and curly, instead morphing into frizzy and poofy. After long hours in the car, he would emerge tousled and strange looking, usually with a big tuft of hair sticking straight out on one side, and straight up on the other. (This picture illustrates the more cute side).



Now I am generally not an advocate of a military haircut for toddlers; I think little boys look cute with a little more substance on top. But with Josh's hair being close to nonexistent in some spots, and long in weird spots, it was starting to bother me.



After contemplating the idea for a while, we decided it was time for the first trim!



So the day after we got home, we took to the task at hand. Josh had seen me cut Daddy's hair numerous times, so he wasn't too worried when we put the little apron on him, and I got the shears out. He was going to be just like Daddy!



Of course while I was actually cutting it he was a little more nervous and whimpery. Luckily it was a quick job, and all went well.



He shed a few locks (which we saved in his baby book)...



And then Josh was a new man! What a big boy!

6 comments:

KieraAnne said...

In that picture at moms house, it looks like you're pulling his hair to the side and holding it with a rooster. It took me a minute to figure out that was mom's chair with the rooster stencils on it. :)

julie said...

I think his hair turned out great! How wonderful that you can do it yourself! Not only is it easier on the pocketbook, but he felt a lot more comfortable than if you would have taken him somewhere to have a stranger cut his hair. I wonder what a small child thinks is happening during his first haircut.

Mellissa said...

None of my kids had a lot of hair until they were about two (Melanie didn't get her first haircut until three). That's great that he sat so still for you. I cut my boys' - including Ben's - hair, and I despise doing so. Only because I can never find all the hair on the floor, as it hides well and I find some weeks later! It drives me crazy!

tearese said...

Kiera- thats funny.

julie- yeah, my mom always cut the boys hair in my house, so I've always planned on doing it myself. The first time I cut Josephs hair we didn't have the electric shears and I used scissors...that one didn't turn out so well!

missy-I like cutting hair. When I do Joseph's, he holds a bag and I put the pieces in there, so very few make it to the floor. It does usually get all over my clothes though.

Jennifer @ Fruit of My Hands said...

They always look older after a haircut! :(

Thanks for sharing your thoughts on my post about women & the mommy wars.

Lynne's Somewhat Invented Life said...

Thanks for the funny jokes. My fave was why the tomato was embarassed.

Your little one is darling. That first photo is a winner, for sure.