However, if one actually interacts with our family in person on a regular basis, one might see the other side of Elora much more often.

While Elora can talk up a storm, sing entire nursery rhymes and Disney songs on demand, and draws pretty good pictures of her family for a preschooler, when she's around other people our saucy little girl has a tendency to hide her brighter side. In other words, she likes to play dumb.
I don't know if its some kind of defense mechanism, if she's shy, or if she just thinks its funny, but whenever we meet someone new- and often even around neighbors she knows well- Elora will talk baby talk and refuses to act like the girl we know and love at home.
Case in point. A week or so ago we took her to the doctor. You may recall, I am not the parent that takes my kid in for every cough and fever, in fact I think a yearly check up is only necessary if you need immunizations or have some major concern. In this case though, Elora hadn't been feeling well and had been displaying some strange symptoms that had me worried, including some unfamiliar sores on her gums, a fever, and complaints of sore teeth (she didn't eat most anything for almost a week, not even her favorite treats!)
We were meeting yet another new doctor at our clinic, as I still haven't found one I like since the two women practitioners both moved to other towns. I'm sad to say this doctor impressed me about the same as the rest (which was not at all) especially when he said nothing was wrong with her, then he went on and on about fluoride drops- which had nothing to do with her ailment.
When I declined to accept a prescription for said drops, he actually asked if I was against fluoride, and he extolled all of its virtues to me as if I was denying my child immunizations against mumps or polio. I was not happy, and I plan on avoiding this particular MD from now on.
My frustration at the fruitless visit was compounded by Elora's inane behavior. Elora loves going to the doctor, and I thought she would act normal. Yeah right. Every attempt of the doctor and nurse to converse with her, were met with "goo-goo" and "ga-ga" from my oh so brilliant daughter.
"How old are you? Are you three?"
"Dada!"
"Thats pretty nail polish, did you put that on your fingernails?"
"Lalala, mama!"
"Can you climb up on this table and show me how big you are?"
"Na na la la!"
I was sooo embarrassed. I wondered if they even believed that she had told me herself what her symptoms were. I kept apologizing and explaining that she really could talk, but Elora wasn't about to prove it. Of course, the second all clinic personell left the room, Elora asked if she could squeeze the blood preasure thing, and said she didn't want to go home yet. I was just hoping someone was still standing outside the door to hear her.
Another recent issue we've been having is with Elora's Sunday School class. Since she turned three this last year, she has graduated from the nursery to the youngest sunday school class, the Sunbeams. Everyone was sure she would love it, as she's been bored in nursery for quite a while now.
To our distress, Elora has burst into tears almost every Sunday as we head to her new class. She's told me she doesn't mind the actual class with five or six other kids her age. Whats surprising is that she hates the singing time they attend first. While she loves to sing and dance at home, she seems to dread going to the singing time at church, even though she already knows half the songs and will sing them when with us.
I've had to sit with her several times, and the Sundays I've looked in on her, she refuses to do any actions to the songs, and won't even try to join in. I've seen her start to smile several times, then she catches herself and forces her face into a grumpy frown. She''s determined to be miserable!
Strangely, as a toddler she never had any problems going to nursery, and I never had to stay with her once! It's quite a mystery. I'm just worried that she's getting a reputation as that kid who cries every Sunday...she shouldn't be known as that naughty kid, but the smart one, right?

6 comments:
I don't know your exact frustration, but I've felt similar. It's too bad you can't find a competent doctor up there, because that one seems to think flouride could save the world.
And you're right about Elora. She'll eventually figure out that working together with her teachers and classmates is a lot more effective and fun. It's just hard in church because there really isn't a lot of discipline besides sit down and be reverent. When she starts kindergarten she'll see that good behavior = good consequences and bad behavior = bad consequences, and not a lot of fun. She'll come around.
Sometimes I wonder if oldest children have a hard time with new situations that imply that they're growing up. I mean, the younger children can see that their siblings have done it so it's not that hard, but I wonder if it's just more comfortable and less scary to do baby things because she already knows what people's reactions will be.
It's a theory.
But also, sometimes my parents would tell me what was expected of me as I got older. And it's sort of weird, but it turns out to be a sort of peer pressure when you realize that people your age are behaving a certain way, so you can, too.
Okay, sorry I'm being so verbose, but I needed to point out that it's funny that while married-with-children people can relate to this story as being a parent, my comments are relating to the child. My only experiences dealing with this situation are remembering how things were when I was little. Haha!
Maybe her answers to the doctors were a precurser to us when someone asks us something and we freeze--can't think of a thing to say. At least she said something!
missy- I hope she does grow out of it and learn...I was hoping she'd never have to learn bad consequences. Oh well, I guess you and I always got in trouble for talking in Kindergarten, and we had to put our heads down
during sharing time.
cardine- Hey, we speak from our experiences. I have this tv series on dvd, and I loved it as a teen, but now like it because I can identify with the parents. We watched it with Joseph's brother when he was here (he's single) and he kept taking the kid's side and badmouthing the parents in the show...it seemed so weird!
lynne- that could be it, maybe just a loss for words?
That's really annoying. Isabelle does that sometimes now too...I wonder if she learned it from Elora or if it's a stage she would have had anyway.
Post a Comment