New name for the baby name list: Rhiannon (ree- ANN - un)
Rhiannon is the goddess of horses in Welsh mythology. There's a whole big story about her in Wikipedia. Rhiannon is also the title of a Fleetwood Mac song. Click the title to see the lyrics, or I have it in my playlist near the bottom, if you pop it out to find it and listen.
I heard this song the other day and remembered how much I like it...most of my favorite songs are from the seventies. (My middle name is from a Beatles song, incidentally.)
I thought it was funny to see that the meaning of the name is Gaelic, because for the name "Eowyn"-also on the list- Tolkien borrowed and combined Welsh terms for 'horse' and 'joy'. Cool, not that I love horses especially, but I do love Gaelic sounding names and the two names are kind of associated with each other.
I like the whole name, as well as shorter versions of "Ree" or "Anne".
What do you think? Love it, hate it, or indifferent?
(I am just asking to have a boy, aren't I.)
Friday, January 30, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
8 comments:
I like it. I didn't realize which song it was until I listened to it...I always thought they were saying "remeeeember" not Rhiannon or Brianna like you thought. I think I have a couple of celtic mythology books with her in them...which I know you told me about but I didn't make the connection before. So I think you should use it.,,unless you have a boy of course. I also didn't know you had so many cool songs on your song list. I've never popped it out before to look at. :)
Yeah, its weird when you realize the real lyrics to songs you never sang right.
So I guess no one else really likes the name, huh.
Thain likes my playlist too.
I have always liked that name. It's different without being totally out there. I'm jealous that you get to choose great names, but I DO NOT want another baby! Riley is finally potty-trained. Hallelujah!
I love it. I think it's very pretty. :o) Now for some boy names...
Missy- I'm glad you like it; yeah the names are half the fun with a new baby. Congrats on Riley being trained. Yay!
Doreen-The thing is, we pretty much know what we'd name it for a boy, unless I changed my mind last minute (which is highly possible.) And boy names are boring. At least normal boy names are...and I'm not a huge fan of any other naming trends for boys right now..besides boring and normal.
I love it! All of your names have been great--it will be exciting to see if you're having a girl. :)
I definitely think it's a good possibility for a name. I think that naming a person would stress me out. That's a pretty big thing.
I really like it! I used to know a girl with that name so I would have a hard time using it myself, I'm weird I know. :)
Post a Comment