Tuesday, October 13, 2009

Portrait: The Happy Couple

These are the parents of the last two little girls I drew! I was given a wedding photo of the two of them sitting in front of a tree with some vague buildings and shrubbery in the background. I zoomed in in the faces, and decided to leave out the tree, mostly because at this distance, the four branches looked like horns coming out of their heads!
Its been a while since I've drawn adults, and hoped they'd turn out all right.





This is a different paper than last time, allowing me to do the colors darker than with the too-textured stuff, but its almost white, requiring me to build up the skin tones a lot more than on the yellow or pink papers:



The bride's cool hair decoration and necklace were a little vague in the photo I had, and I know I didn't get the details exact, but they didn't turn out too bad. Its hard to tell between these two photos, but I was adding more color to the faces:



I started in on the background, which helps me know how much more color I need to add to the skin etc. to make it look finished with the rich green behind it:



The bride has some cute freckles in the photo, but I wasn't sure how much I should try to include them. If I did too much they might look like some weird disease, and too little her skin would look the wrong color. The grooms clothes and hair were easy, at least in the photo they were a very flat black and dark brown:



At this point I couldn't decide if I was done or not. At the last minute, I decided to go back and define the collar bone and the necklace after this photo. I also added a little more to the shadow areas on the two faces to make them a bit darker:



And here is the final copy. The necklace still isn't as good as I would like it, I think I need to work on drawing shiny white objects so I can perfect my technique there. She had some lace detailing on her dress, which was hard to see (just like in my wedding photos!) but I tried to suggest it on the shoulders with a little purple and blue. Again, its hard to tell between these last two photos, but I did add to it!


The end.

8 comments:

Mellissa said...

I wouldn't have been able to tell that you haven't drawn adult faces in a while. You did great as usual! What was the most challenging thing about this portrait?

julie said...

Looks awesome - as usual! I keep wondering what I could have you draw for me (paid for, of course). Haven't come up with anything yet, but I'll keep thinking. It would be cool to have something done by you.

*Katie* said...

I love it I love it I love it! I can't wait to get them all framed ;)

Ruth said...

You have such talent! As always you have done wonderful work!

Lynne's Somewhat Invented Life said...

This was/is really beautiful. I'm sure they will be pleased.

KieraAnne said...

I like her hair...is her dress long or short sleeved? It's hard to tell, but that's probably just the scanner. Good job. :)

tearese said...

missy- the whole thing would have been harder if I hadn't been practicing portraits all this last year or two! Probably the necklace was the hardest, and its still not what it should be.
julie-I would love to draw something for you when you figure out what!
M. Dub-I hope they'll look great together on your wall!
Ruth-thanks!
Lynne-thanks, I hope so.
kiera-her dress has opaque short sleeves, then a transparent long sleeve over the rest of the arm.

KieraAnne said...

Ah! That explains my confusion...I thought her arm looked way to white to not have a sleeve on it, but it looked like short sleeves...I can see the difference now. :)