But the whole time we have resided here, there seem to be constant problems with the recycling program. Don't get me wrong, I'm thrilled that it is there at all! But I can see it from my living room window, and sometimes the pile-up of mess really rubs me the wrong way.
The problem really lies with both the school and the residents. For one thing, the school employees don't pick up the stuff as often as they should. Apparently we're at the very end of their pickup route and if they don't have room they either don't stop, or only pick up a minimum amount of the recycling. Hello, 24 families with two to four kids each, remember?
Thus the shed slowly fills up until occasionally they'll make a special run to our street to do a special clean up before it explodes. This problem is compounded by the transient nature of student housing. When a family moves in our out (we get a few each semester) the recycle shed is very convenient...but as you know, there are a lot of boxes to get rid of after you move. Observe:
Yeah, we got a few new families over Christmas break. I think its great that they're recycling their boxes-yay! But do people really not know about flattening boxes to make more room? Not to mention that they're probably not going to pick up your boxes if they're not flattened? I totally agree with this policy, by the way- why should they do your job? Hopefully, the new people will all catch on soon enough.
The other thing that gets me, is the sorting. There is a giant built-in bin in the back for boxes. Then on one side of the shed are containers with this sign:
And on the other side the containers have signs like this:
Again the school compounded the problem by removing all but ONE bin for paper- seriously, 24 families only need one bin for paper? Yeah right. But what drives me nuts is when people mix stuff together, like this:
And I guarantee there is more plastic in that paper bin if you dig down. I don't blame anyone who doesn't speak English, but come on everyone else. Often I hear the excuse that its because kids are taking out the garbage, which may be the case on occasion- but seeing the shed from my window, I can vouch for the fact that there are plenty of adults who do the same. And most the kids who take the trash out can also read, so is that really an excuse?
The recycling facility needs to work more on education, in my opinion. I have a feeling people don't know you're not supposed to recycle cardboard that actually has food on it...like this doughnut box and pizza box. Garbage, not recycling.
And....an electric appliance? I've seen worse than this too...garbage, not recycling, unless you have a highly specialized facility that can take it apart, etc....which we DON'T have.
anyway. Now everyone knows what I'm venting about when I mention this on facebook. Thanks for listening, I feel much better now!
7 comments:
Yeah! You tell them sister! ;) My last town was awesome. They gave everyone a choice between a small or large recycle bin for your house. They sent bi-annual lists of what could or could not be recycled, picked it up at your door and didn't make you seperate ANYTHING! It was awesome. Here in po-dunkville, USA I'm not sure they even know what recycling is. If we really feel the need we can seperate all of our stuff ourselves and drive 40 minutes into the nearest large town to their recycling drop off point with our garbage, but sorry, I'm not THAT committed. ;)
does everyone really hate this post or what?
Actually, I like this post. I think you're right. People just need to be educated. I think that you can tell that people WANT to recycle as much as possible (hence, the pizza and donut boxes), but they just don't really know what to do about it. I wonder if the school took fliers around to everyone if that would help?
I've thought it might be fun (for a day or two) to work in the recycling plant. You'd get to see all the junk people throw away. And then you'd get sick to death of it but for a day or two it'd be interesting. Kind of like an archeological dig 100 years before it became so interesting.
I love your annoyance at the incompetent recyclers. I just wish we had some here. I can't imagine all the recycling from your little cul-de-sac!
You hit it right on the button! I often go in that recycling place and am disgusted. My boys take our recycling out, but i taught them where to put things, so i know they aren't the problem. But, I have to admit, I've brought a few boxes and haven't broken them down, but now I will. I just wish they would come and empty out that shed before it explodes. Sooner or later, everyone's gonna get sick of it and just start throwing their stuff in the garbage. Way to go for posting this, help us all to wake up!!!!!
kiera- yeah, I wasn't trying to reprimand anyone, just vent my frustration. I'll be super annoyed if we live somewhere without it.
cardine-thanks. You're right, its great that people are at least trying, I'm happy for that. Fliers would be awesome. I remember vaguely that they gave us something when we moved in, but it was mixed with tons of other papers,and it was many pages long and not very concise.
lynne- that would be interesting. I watched something on PBS about recycling plants once, and it was intriguing.
Missy-believe me there is a ton! The shed is even fuller now. I think I might go out and flatten some like I did this summer, just so they'll take it away.
Krista-maybe I should send this post to the recycling people or something? I know Telene talked to them several times. Oh well.
Post a Comment