Wednesday, June 02, 2010

What I'll Miss (additionally)

Our Sunday School Class.
It is the perfect blend of fresh college student couples -some about 12 years younger than me-, ancient wise-women, and wise-cracking ancient men. Also, middle-aged people who fill in the gaps. I'm not sure if I still fit in the fresh group or the middle somewhere.

In the three years I've lived here I've found a comfortable place sitting next to Margaret. She reminds me of my great-grandmother who lived around the block from me. She endured baby Joshua and now baby Jonah picking at her hand-knit shawls, always smiling at their baby charm and not taking herself too seriously. Often she is mumbling facts under her breath in my direction when others are spouting false doctrine, but usually not volunteering the comment aloud. And I do the same back.

Jonah loves her (he probably thinks she's his grandma!) and when he realizes we're sitting by her, he grabs her shawl and looks into her face until she notices him, then he grins at her. He'll do it several times throughout the class too.

I am going to be Margaret when I'm like ninety. But first, I have to learn to knit, so I can donate stuff to humanitarian aid every single week. Seriously.

3 comments:

Ruth said...

There is a lady in our ward that when I had babies I knew I could always sit by. It was comforting!

Mellissa said...

I also love sitting by those with all that perspective and experience. There was one sister (Sister Crow) in Vancouver and I just adored her. She once told me she liked me because I didn't treat her like a little old lady. Best compliment I've ever had. Sorry you'll miss Margaret.

tearese said...

ruth, thats always nice, isn't it?

missy- Yeah, maybe she likes us for the same reason. I just remember when we'd have family reunions, and the cousins who didn't know my great grandma well always talked to her so condescendingly, like she was a little kid, so I always try to talk to older people like I would any other girlfriend.