Friday, September 17, 2010

Adventures on the Prairie

Maybe I should change my blog's name to "Little House on the Prairie", since there are no trees here. Or not.


This week's excitement: a cool green tractor! Maybe I was more excited about it than the kids. I took this picture of Elora before she knew I was taking it. Does she look bored, or pensive? Or, "whatsgoingon-ish"? At least her hair is blowing in a cool way.



Jonah didn't want his picture taken, he wanted to go play! Darn it. I wish I could've got him to smile for more pictures, because I really need a one-year old photo of him for my wall. We kind of forgot it in all the craziness of moving! I would love to go to one of the sunflower fields to take pictures, but I have a feeling it will probably snow within the next few weeks, so that might not happen.





The one smiling shot I got is slightly out of focus. Hmmm. Maybe I'll still use it.



The ones with Elora and Josh turned out great! Too bad I couldn't fit Jonah up there too without him falling, or it would be a great pic of all of them. Plus, I keep wondering if there was something on my lens, because several have that weird smudge in the middle, by Josh's face.



I decided I needed to get in on all the country tractor action too, so I set up my tripod. It took several tries before I was completely in the shot...and where I could find a pose where I wasn't totally dumpy looking.



Confession: I edited all the sitting poses of myself to disguise my somewhat muffin-y top. Don't tell.



And there are several I just cut off the whole bottom half to make it easier. Still looks good, right?



Then came the biggest fun of the day. Using an old wood pallet as a teeter totter! Awesome! At least for five minutes.



Even this serious guy had some fun!

10 comments:

KieraAnne said...

Hey nice tractor! ;) I like the ones of Elora and Josh on the tractor...plus the ones of Jonah. I wish I had a tractor...oh wait, I'm sure I could find one somewhere. We have chickens. That's kind of like a tractor right?

Ruth said...

Have you thought of taking pictures professionally? You have a wonderful talent for it!

tearese said...

kiera- a chicken is totally like a tractor. Its like we live in the country or something.
Ruth-thanks for the compliment! I have fun taking pictures, but would never be pretentious enough to do it professionally, as I know how amateurish I am next to a professional photographer! Plus, the equipment is waaay to expensive.

Sara Hammond said...

Tearese-you don't give yourself enough credit. Of course there will always be someone better, but you do a wonderful job! I would pay you! And it may just be the size on the blog, but that picture of Jonah doesn't look out-of-focus. I bet that would make not only a great one-year picture, but also a great memory of where you were when looking back! Good luck!

Chelle said...

I love how you make a place that on paper sounds like a less-than desirable place, but then transform it into a magical, beautiful place with your camera. I bet you could make a killing on senior pictures and other photo opps in such a small town. Food for thought at least!

Anonymous said...

You look fantastic!!

Nice photos!

julie said...

Wonderful pictures! I think you look awesome, especially the one where you're standing on the tractor.

Have you heard the Jason Aldean (country) song called Big Green Tractor? That's what I thought about when you said you found a green tractor.

Glad you guys are finding fun things to do out there!

tearese said...

Sarah H- Thanks! I think the picture of Jonah is slightly more focused on the machinery behind his head than his face, but you're right, it would still make a great wall picture.
Chelle- Yeah, taking these fun pictures made me a lot more excited about living here, and more observant of all the things to see here that I wouldn't find elsewhere.
Sarah-thanks!

tearese said...

julie- I like that one best too. I've never heard that song...Joseph is the country fan in our house, for the most part, I just tolerate it!

Anonymous said...

I love the pictures! You make it look like a great place to live. Sorry, I'm not moving. When you have such terrific people in the pictures they can't be beat! Kimber