Again, I admire all forms of watercolor, and am amazed at the ultra realism I've seen in places like the Artist's Magazine. For instance, pieces like this are beyond my skill for sure, and I love looking at this type of thing too.

But those aren't really what I'd like to do with my own work. I like the paintings with lots of color, random looking brush strokes that end up looking fabulous, and...oh here, let me show you.
This is the cover of one of our kids books that I bought just because I loved the illustrations. They are truly breathtaking! This is one of the best paintings in the book, but if you look inside, you will find many more that are just as amazing! The artist is Sibyl Graber Gerig.

Another book I bought for the artwork (which Elora loves) is this poetry laden story, The Tale I Told Sasha. The artist is David Christiana, and everything is so fanciful and random in his paintings. Here is a link to more of his work.

I was able to find an example of two of the inside illustrations:
This month, our Children's Friend magazine came from church, and it has the perfect example of an ink and watercolor painting. In fact, it is what inspired this post! I tried to find examples of the artist's work online, but couldn't find her anywhere, so she must be new to the scene or something. So I hope I don't get in trouble for scanning this...the artist is Karen Sorenson. I love how lyrical her pen lines are, and how fresh and beautiful her painting is!
Oh yeah. I love anything to do with Autumn, and I'm dying to see some trees with leaves around here, so I might like it for that aspect as well.
3 comments:
Beautiful examples. J and I went to the Puyallup Fair this week and walked through the upstairs art exhibit. I was able to identify an ink-and-watercolor which I never would have known before. I love that I learn new things from you!
okay, I've tried to comment three times now, and it keeps not letting me. I'll try one more time! Anyway, I'm glad I could be educational! And, Puyallup Fair, I'm so jealous. Lucky you!
I absolutely love that first painting with the cut glass bowl! It's amazing!
Thanks for sharing artwork that you love. It's very inspiring!
Post a Comment