Shortly after moving here, I decided I needed to make curtains for our new house. Mostly because the majority of the windows were uncovered, and the rest had ratty broken mini-blinds covering them. Sure, we could have just bought curtains, but they are supposed to be one of the easiest things to make on a sewing machine, right?
Besides, I needed something to distract me from the task of unpacking all of our boxes (there are just a few left.) Lucky me, the easy part turned out to be true, and I love my new curtains! Sadly, the magnetic curtain rod we bought for the back door won't stick (wrong kind of metal) and we forgot one of the windows in the living room, so we have to wait till the end of the month when we drive to the city again before I can take care of those.
So, I took some pictures, and for the life of me I don't know why I didn't use the flash, or possibly clear the space in front of the windows so you could see them better. But you get the idea.
These are in Jonah's room. I love them the best I think! They are perfect for a baby room.


For Elora and Joshua's room, I was looking for something gender neutral, possibly some red or yellow gingham like that in Jonah's room. But Elora didn't like the yellow I liked, Josh didn't like the red she liked, and I wasn't going to get the princess material Elora wanted but Josh would hate. Finally, Elora picked this material, which is the same material as that of an apron my mom made for her last year!
At first I thought it was too girly, but Joshua actually liked it too. So, this was it:


The living room has the biggest window in the house. All of the windows are 60" tall, but this one is also 50" wide! When the curtain is closed it isn't as gathered as I would like it to be, but when they're open it looks okay. We wanted a light and airy material for the living room, as our carpet throughout the house is blue, and we didn't want it any darker than it was! At first I was hesitant over this material, because it looked a little too much like bedsheets, but now that they're hanging up, I really like them!


Finally, we have two more tall windows in our bedroom that really needed to be covered, as people walk right past them on the way to the school in the morning. We had boxes stacked near them at first, but as we've been unpacking, that obviously wasn't going to work anymore. Besides, I wanted some light in my room!
When I first saw this material, I adored it. But when I got it home, I wondered if it would be too gaudy for a curtain, that perhaps it might work better as a bed cover or something. But once it was hanging up, I decided I loved it again! And maybe someday if we move and I don't need them anymore, I might make a cool skirt out of them. Assuming my seamstress skills have improved by that point.
Again, using the flash on my camera would have been sooo helpful for these pictures. Duh.


So what do you think?
7 comments:
I like them! I bet they make your house feel a lot more like home, curtains always have a way of doing that for me. I'm surprised Josh liked the butterflies, but hey, how awesome to have a fabric that both liked! Yay!
"I might make a cool skirt out of them."
That line reminds me of "The Sound of Music." I love it. I am also impressed by your seamstress skills. I think I'm amazing when I put together two sets of curtains, but I'm pretty sure you just showed me up big time.
Oooh pretty! I like your bedroom curtains best I think. James would probably like the kids room curtains as well since he likes "bugs." The only thing I would have done different was add one more line of sewing under the one you did at the top so that some material would scrunch up above the curtain rod, but it looks fine the way you did it too. :)
Look at that...more talent than I possess! They are cute!
Cool! Now I'm thinking I should get some fabric and make some curtains of my own!
Thanks everyone.
Julie- yeah, Josh's fav color is actually pink...so I guess its up his alley ;)
Cardine- I was totally thinking about Sound of music when I said that. But I'm serious, I would love a dress out of that. And I know you sew much better than I so don't give me that.
kiera- I'm still trying to picture what you're talking about. I think I get it. Maybe.
Ruth- I'm sure you can sew so much better than me!
Rose- you should, its fun!
Very cool.
And my favorite is your skirt one. Nice!
Post a Comment